Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windscreen wiper arc

Message originally posted by: Simon Donnelly
    Hi - I am the chuffed new owner of a 1988 LWB Roadster and a new member of MOC. The car is 1 month from completion of a makeover and I am enjoying learning as I go along. I would like to increase the arc covered by the wipers. I've read about this subject on the SVC website so think I need to change the Gear Wheel and cover plate on the Lucas 14W motor - is this the case and, if so, any suggestions on where to get the bits? Might I need to change the whole motor assy? Hope not! My wipers park to the left. Thanks.

Re: Windscreen wiper arc

Message originally posted by: Stefan Carlton
    I was told to get hold of an Allegro drive (the bit behind the wiper blade) as the gearing allows for greater movement. My problem is that the wipers hit the surround so I can't increase the arc

Comment

Simon,
      You need to change the wheel boxes. If you have a 90 degree arc at the moment you will most likely have 40 teeth gears. Buy ones with 32 teeth to give you 130 degrees. These were found on allegros and I think later Itals. You might suffer from the wiper blade fouling the scuttle as Stefan points out. This can be solved by using the Landrover style flat blades and cutting them down at one end. Be aware though that these type of blades are less effective. Maybe a bit of juggling with the standard 10" jobs and some adjustable arms will overcome is.
      Hope this helps.
      Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 1800 Fiat Twin Cam engine and 5 speed Abarth gearbox built in 1987
      - I have no idea what I am talking about........ but my advice is always free! -

Comment

Simon,
        Forgot to mention. You can change the park position by simply opening the motor gear housing plate and rotating the large gear wheel by 180 degrees.
        Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 1800 Fiat Twin Cam engine and 5 speed Abarth gearbox built in 1987
        - I have no idea what I am talking about........ but my advice is always free! -

Comment

I wrote an article some years back for 'Pitstop'on the merits of changing to Allegro wheelboxes to increase the arc.Will search the attic to see if i still have copy as i may have enclosed part numbers.

Comment

The part no i have for the Allegro wheelbox is 72885B-2WB.Hope that helps.

Comment

Thanks all. I managed to buy 9" sprung blades so hope to avoid fouling. Will try to source the wheelbox and will post the results.

Comment

Where did you get the 9" blades from?

Comment

I found the wipers in a local Motor Factors - General Traffic in Bolton. They are 9" black finish sprung blades with universal fittings so fit bayonet and spoon fittings. They cost less than a fiver for 2. I'm not at home this weekend but will post their number and address early next week. S & J Motors in Chorley (Lancs)had 9" S/S spoon fitting blades on their stand at Donnington and I thing Europa sell 9" blades on their website. Again, sorry for the lack of contact details.

Comment

Message originally posted by: Jim Mountain
                    Holden sell 9" blades but are VERY expensive.

Comment

Stefan

I note from one of your earlier replies that you are aware of S & J Motors in Chorley and I'm sure you've visited Europa Spares but, for the record, here are the contact details I promised.

S & J Motors 01257 262881
                      General Traffic 01204 659786
                      Europa Spares www.europaspares.com

Comment

Wow, you guys got 'park'? My 'park' position depends on my accuracy switching them off!

Comment

General Motors is a new one for me Thanks

Comment

My wipers auto park, not matter what psoition they are in when I turn the ignition off they will always park against the bottom of the windscreen. Simple addition of a relay does the job.

Comment

As I understand it the blue wire on the Lucas Motor is the park feed - you need a dedicated wiper switch that applies a live to blue when switch is in the off position. I don't have park either because I changed to toggle switches when replacing my dash and the ones I bought are simply on/off/on (1 speed/off/2 speed), so no park. I don't find it a problem but it would be nice to solve it simply. Any advice on the relay Neil? ie how is it wired? Would I still need a special switch?

Comment

Working...
                              X