Devastated / moaning :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Devastated / moaning :(

It is dry today (other than snow shower !) so had chance to play with the Roadster. Since it was put in my drive I've only really had one other proper sit in it. Then I had a funny turn (I have health issues) so was shocked when it happened again today. Went back into the house and tried once more an hour or so later with same results.
    Looks like the bending to get in, tightness of seating position etc doesn't suit me. I found myself struggling to breath and it's made me sit down and seriously think whether I can cope with the car.
    I hate my ill health as I've had to stop cycling, can't walk more than very short distances (and should use two sticks), can't swim (once nearly drowned and had to be rescued), can't dive (breathing difficulties - mate is instructor and tried to introduce me to a new interest), not allowed to fly solo (as pilot - was learning), can't ride motorbikes (I've got 5 !), can't ride my quad (right hand doesn't work properly so throttle and brake difficult to operate), spend large amounts of my time in bed sleeping (connected to a CPAP machine as acute Sleep Apnoea), have to wear knee and foot braces as well as mental heath / neurological issues (psychomotor retardation, PTSD, Conversion Disorder) so it looks like now my driving is going to be limited (licence suspended for 3 months last year until I took a fitness to drive assessment)
    Tried my Sprite for size and whilst more difficult to get in and out than the Roadster more room when seated.
    I just don't know what to do
    Really like Marlin's. Maybe I should consider a Berlinetta again.

Paul H

Re: Devastated / moaning

Paul

I really don't know what to say other than I admire you trying to lead a normal life.

It sure as hell puts into perspective my ailments.

Its good to see that people still want to get into Marlins (no pun intended).

Before getting a berli why not try one for size first of all, I am sure there is a friendly Berli user who would be more than happy to oblige.

What ever your decision I hope this hasn't put you off, we really need people like you to keep this mark going.

Good luck and let us all know what you are doing.

Adrian

Comment

Hi again Paul There is currently a Berli on ebay Item number 131086964976. Adrian

Comment

that Berli has been advertised quite a bit on Gumtree and various places so there hasn't been much interest so far, may be the price can be hit quite hard? Problem is delivery from the Emerald Isle?

Comment

After a few hours sleep I can begin to get my head around the problem I hate being defeated and always try to solve such difficulties rather than simply giving up. Two small strokes have muddled my brain a bit but I'm starting to develop an idea ! I really like the Roadster (the actual design rather than the car in my drive) so am reluctant to accept, yet, that it's not adaptable to me. Any car has it's potential difficulties and it's always a compromise so need to look at the Marlin with the same eyes.
          Next thing is to lower the roof to see if that aids entry and exit. I think the frame also forces my head forward and seat back too upright which restricts my breathing. Looking outside at the snow makes me think I might have to wait though.
          Amazing what rest does for mentally preparing you to tackling obstacles.

Paul H

Comment

Hi Paul

As most know on this forum, I drive my Marlin with the top down most of the time. This is where the Marlin comes into its own. The screen is part of the chassis and can be used for hauling in and out. I used my car when I broke my Femur, the secret was to open door, stand in, hold on screen and slide down. To get out I used the screen again and leaving the broken leg straight I hauled myself upright and then stepped out, obviously closing door behind me.

Try it, it may work for you.

Adrian
            Last edited by listerjp2; 31-01-14, 07:47 AM.

Comment

Hi Paul
              Don't give up, with the top down and using the technique Adrain has suggested gives a lot better access.
              Have you thought any more on the remote servo because if you go down this route you will be able to change the position of the steering wheel moving it up would give you better access and may allow you to put a thicker cushion swab on the seat moving you up in the cock pit may give you a bit more room for your hips. It seems it is a common crisisim of the roadster that the angle of the steering wheel is not quite right so you may well be rectify two problems.
              Going to the stoneleigh kit car show in May might help as you would be able to try all marks of marlins.
              Regards Angus

Comment

Right - dry(ish) this morning so braved the cold and had a better look. Removed hood and as said far easier to get in an out. This is a motorbike substitute, not "mid life crisis", so roof down is the way it'll get driven a lot of the time. No great journeys - just local lanes mainly. I'm very lucky in where I live there are many great routes on the doorstep (we are at 900 feet and very base of Peak District in the Staffordshire Moorlands).
                Think I've found the reason the car causes me to have "funny turns" I have a heart problems (classed as stable failure !) which includes being enlarged. If I bend to tie my shoes then I suffer the same as when in the Roadster. What I THINK is happening is bending squishes up my internal organs and presses against my heart (or lungs ?) I've got an oximeter and checked the readings when sitting In the car. Something happens to my body so need to investigate further. Stretching my legs out straight (hooking feet under pedals) eases the problem. So looks like it's the actual seating position that is the cause. Next thing is try sitting on cushions to see if that improves condition.
                Then it was jack up under the diff to check out prop clearance to tunnel and looks like plenty of scope to narrow tunnel thus creating more seating width.
                Tried tonneau cover and good fit - which more than can be said about hood. It started drizzling so quickly tired to put it back on but combination of cold hands / poor grip and hardened hood material means couldn't stretch it onto the lift-a-dots. Going to put my propane blown heater inside later to soften things up for a few minutes

Paul H
                Last edited by CompoSimmonite; 31-01-14, 12:38 PM.

Comment

Sounds much more positive.

Adrian

Comment

Hi Paul.
                    What Adrian said about using the windscreen to lower yourself down works well. I also have a SWB Roadster and after my op to have my bowel removed I find that I can lower myself down gently using the screen without pain.
                    I also found that a block of wood under the front of the seat to rake the seat back a bit helps me stretch out more.
                    If you are going to drive around with the hood down most of the time, like I do, then I'd suggest having a golfing umbrella stuffed behind the seats, so if you get caught in a shower you can pull over, put up the brolly and sit it out and keep dry. But with this weather, if you're still sitting it out after a few days, give us a bell and we'll come and get you!
                    Seriously, all the best mate, good luck,
                    Gareth.

Comment

Maybe a Long Wheelbase would have been a better option, that extra 6 inches would help I'm sure.

But good luck anyway.

I hate trying to get in & out of my LWB hybrid with the hood up, I'm not as agile as I used to be, one of the reasons I prefer to use the Stag rather than the Marlin.

Getting in & out with no hood & using the screen surround as has previously been mentioned is a doddle.

Neil.

Comment

Had a quick look this morning and noticed the seat runners are bolted straight to the floor. Looking at the build instructions it says they should be tilted backwards on hardwood wedges. This might be yet another thing which creates an uncomfortable driving position for me.
                        I'm not giving up on this car. It'll get "modified" to suit my needs. First thing is to remove seat from floor and see how it feels with it further back / front edge packed up a little.
                        If I can reduced the height of the tunnel, as well as width, then I might go for a bench seat made from the rear item of a small saloon. Another option is the centre seats out of a Land Rover (Defender) as they are cheap to buy new and easy to modify.
                        What is surprising is no problem with feet room - I have size 9's or width of tunnel other than at hips !

Paul H
                        Last edited by CompoSimmonite; 01-02-14, 10:19 AM.

Comment

Today I had to move a tumble dryer in my trailer for somebody so used old blankets to cushion it from the securing straps.
                          Back home with a folded blanket I thought about the Roadster so removed the top and put blanket on the seat until it was around 3-4" higher. What a difference that makes for me. No more affecting my breathing due to angle of my legs to body, hip cleared tunnel and plenty of leg room.
                          Even looking forward the top rail of the screen was out of my eye line.
                          Obviously this was just a play but had proved it's possible for a SWB to be altered to fit an awkward "so and so" like me
                          Now I've a direction to consider (upwards) will start planning what is needed.

Paul H

Comment

Working...
                          X