hood reproofing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hood reproofing

Has anyone successfully reproofed a canvas hood,have tried autoglm kit to no avail.'Fabsil' tent proofing has been suggested to me ,any comments welcome!

Re: hood reproofing

Alan,
    Renovo is the best and most common. Makes your roof look like new. Whether is does anything for making the roof more waterproof I am unsure. Fabsil used to make a product that you just applied to the stitching as this is the most common area for leaks. Try giving Frosts a call.
    http://www.frost.co.uk/item_Detail.asp?productID=8833
    Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 1800 Fiat Twin Cam engine and 5 speed Abarth gearbox built in 1987
    - I have no idea what I am talking about........ but my advice is always free! -

Comment

Message originally posted by: Sue Roedel (MOC, Editor)
      Hi Alan

I've used Renovo colour restorer and then Fabsil on top and both are good. You need a liberal coating of both. You can't overdo either and the more coats you apply, the better the results. The first time I used Renovo colour restorer, it hadn't been out long and it wasn't long before they realised that the restorer de-water-proofed the canvas which is possibly why they then produced a water-proofer! I haven't tried theirs but of the restorer is anything to go by it's probbaly good. Fabsil is much cheaper though and a big tin would probably give you about 2 or 3 coats. You can get it from all camping shops and applying heavy coats to the stitching does work. Mine stops leaking down my neck when I have water-proofed it!

Comment

Thanks Sue ,I've given it just one coat of Fabsil so far with some improvement,so with further applications it may come up to scratch.Any idea who makes the roofs? I seem to remember someone saying a Plymouth based firm by the name of Potter and------- ? supplied the originals to Marlin

Comment

The company is Lange & Potter , Galileo Close, Newham Ind Est, Plympton, Pllymouth; when I use them last.
          Hope this helpful

Comment

Thanks Paul,I'll contact them for a quote if all else fails

Comment

Message originally posted by: Sue Roedel (MOC, Editor)
              Alan

Tim Hawkesworth also has a "man who does" near Avoncroft. He did Tim's roof, Bob Cawte's and also mine when I get round to being able to afford it. Very reasonably priced for a Berli so a Cabrio may be less....

Comment

Working...
              X