Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone know law / rules about single frotn spot and fog lights ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone know law / rules about single frotn spot and fog lights ?

I've a lovely pair of brand new Carello front light - one fog and one spot. They are old (boxes still have price in £ s d !) and I've had them "in stock" for probably 30 years awaiting a car worthy of fitting them to.
    The fog would be wired so it could only come on when rear fog also illuminated. The spot wired so could only come on with main beam. Both would obviously have separate switches.
    Anyone know the law / rules about front lights ? Can I still fit one of each or are matching pairs only now required.
    They would be going on a 1/6/85, Q registered, Roadster.

Thanks.

Paul H
    BTW even got the chequered padded covers to protect them when on the car
    Last edited by CompoSimmonite; 12-02-14, 11:19 PM. Reason: Tried to correct mispelt title - frotn !

Re: Anyone know law / rules about single frotn spot and fog lights ?

see http://www.transportsfriend.org/road.../position.html
    Chris

Comment

IVA says they must be matched pairs, I presume an MOT inspector would expect the same.
      What happens after an IVA or between MOT's is another matter.
      MOC member since 05/97
      1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
      1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
      Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
      The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

IVA won't apply to a car registered in 1985

Comment

From what I can gather they are probably legal as long as they can only come on with headlights - fog with dipped and spot with main beam. This is so you can't drive on just the one light and therefore be confused with a motorcycle. I had this set up (one spot and one fog) many years ago and worked fine in that fog light illuminated the kerb / gutter that dipped missed and spot illuminated further then main beam. Plus the lights look good - heavy chrome rather than the plastic bodies that are more common today.
          BTW for the rear I've got a NOS aftermarket combined fog and reversing light - remember them ? In fact there are loads of accessories I can fit although don't think the remote controlled bullet wing mirrors that are operated by 3 Bowden cables are appropriate for a Marlin

Paul H
          Last edited by CompoSimmonite; 14-02-14, 09:52 AM.

Comment

I had a look at the MOT manual:

Dim-dip headlamp systems require the front position lamps to be checked for operation with the ignition switched off. This may involve the operation of a separate switch. Additional or optional lamps are not included in the inspection.

But the MOT manual might require closer inspection, and of course the MOT examiner will need to be aware of the interpretation of the regulations when it comes to non-standard 'euro-box' type vehicles.
            MOC member since 05/97
            1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
            1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
            Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
            The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Looks like they will be Ok for MOT then
              As I say there are also the period padded chequer covers so I suppose that would mean they aren't "operational" anyway. Realised I've also got some new genuine Volvo padded covers left over from when I had my P1800 (or could have been the 1800S or Amazon). Really will have to sort out "stock" sometime !

Paul h

Comment

FWIW and to add to the confusion, I have had two MOTs with the front fogs not wired up yet. Other jobs keep getting in the way! The man said that fog lights aren't a test item!

Comment

Originally posted by greyV8pete View Post
                  FWIW and to add to the confusion, I have had two MOTs with the front fogs not wired up yet. Other jobs keep getting in the way! The man said that fog lights aren't a test item!
                  That's surprising Peter - my MOT man says : if they are fitted they must work!

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                    That's surprising Peter - my MOT man says : if they are fitted they must work!
                    That's what I always thought. My larger driving lamps on the headlamp bar work with main beam. It's the small fog lamps on the front bumper that don't seem to matter.

I have the relay and wiring sitting in a box and it's on my 'to do' list in case he changes his mind next MOT, but I need to get a "Round Tuit" first . Peter.

Comment

Working...
                    X