Previous owners bodges

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Previous owners bodges

Seeing nothing much is being discussed what about previous owners bodges ?
    I'll start off with mine
    All the woodwork is MDF. Not exactly the best choice for an open topped car as it's all the consistency of wet cardboard and just as substantial. If you squeeze the dash water drips ! The door locks are brilliant. The actual door is again lined with MDF and the locks are attached to just that with small woodscrews. Of course wood screws aren't very good in damp cardboard so it gives you an idea how secure they are. You can get into the car by pulling the door - the MDF "folds" and allows lock to move out of the way !

Paul H

Re: Previous owners bodges

Very funny. Mine was WIRING! When I removed my dash I found an unbelievable 'birds nest' of bodged, taped and unnecessary wiring. The original builder had done a reasonable job but successive owners had added to and 'repaired' various sections with frightening results.

I, perhaps unwisely, decided not to start again with a new loom. I stripped everything back to basics, cut out all superfluous joints and connections and tidied up as much as possible. I remember the bloke from Premier Wiring trying to persuade me to start again by telling me that more kit cars meet their end through fire than any other cause. I was confident in my work in the initial refurb but 7 years later I am now niggled by self doubt, so much so that I have decided to rebuild my dash and check that all the wiring is up to scratch and still safe. Daft really because I have never even had a blown fuse. Mind you, replacing the fuses with rusty old nails may have helped in that respect!
    Last edited by Sidon; 28-02-14, 10:39 AM. Reason: spelling and grammar
    Roadster MKII LWB. Built 1988. Marina 1.8TC based. B Series 1950cc engine fitted with twin SU HS4 carburetors and unleaded, big valve head. 4 core Austin Maxi radiator. All Marina 1.8TC running gear including 4 speed gearbox. Minilite style 15"wheels fitted with tall tyres to increase gearing for more relaxed cruising.

Comment

Working...
    X