No announcement yet.

Hello everyone and can you help please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello everyone and can you help please.

Hi I'm Steve and my site name is Building it for Dad.

My dad loved his cars he worked on them most of his life, when he took early retirement due to ill health he took up the challenge of building a Marlin Cabrio a Mk1 which he bought from Terry and Mark when Marlin cars where in the town centre of Crediton. As dad only lived in Torquay he was able to go over to get the bits and pieces he needed on a regular basis and got friendly with Mark and Terry and ended up helping out for a while at the factory. Whenever I went down to visit I always had to take dad over for one reason or another so i got to know Mark and Terry a little.

Dad completed his first Marlin and before you knew it sold it to Peter Filby of Which Kit Magazine I never understood why but he did and that was that! Anyway keen to move on dad looked around for another project and settled on another Marlin this time a MK2 Cabrio and again on a visit down to Devon we ended up in Crediton collecting the kit, he spent about a year on it before his health took a turn for the worse and shortly after he passed away, Mark even took the time to come and see dad off.

I have inherited my dads part built Marlin Cabrio probably one of the last Cabrio's actually to come from Crediton this was the second Marlin that Dad was in the process of building before he passed away.
    He had got the car to the stage off fitting the engine and he put in a 1600 zetec engine and gearbox on a sierra diff all from the donor car, nothing wrong with that I hear you say.

Dad was always a little bit shy and didn't like to draw attention to himself so he wanted to fit a regular engine something that didn't stand out to much although driving a Marlin draws attention to you anyway, he didn't get that bit. I on the other hand wanted him to fit something a bit more edgy and convinced him to fit something bigger and on another visit to Terry and Mark we picked up a Granada V6. That was a bit more like it, but alas without me there to egg him on he reverted and ended up fitting a 1600 Zetec, although I know secretly he really would have enjoyed the bigger engine.

For the style of car and the look I think it deserves something with a bit more of the classic burble so recently I picked up on ebay a rover 3500 V8. Here's where I need some help please has anyone got any sort of manual or instructions or your own experiences for fitting a V8 in a MK2 Cabrio I know that it has been done Terry and Mark had one down at Crediton before they sold the Cabrio series on I spoke with Terry recently and she has told me that they have no info for that conversion and you guys might be able to help.

2nd plea for help.

I bought a real early Marlin Roadster in fact the guy I bought it of was a friend of Paul Moorhouse apparently they went to University together it is Chassis Number 2374 I need to know as much info as I can find out about the model. The previous owner lost all paperwork for the car and I am trying to get DVLA to issue a new V5 they are saying they have no info of a change to the car and it is still registered as a Marina although previous owner swears he was using it regularly up until about 5 year ago taxing and moting it yearly. Any info would be a great help.

Thanks for reading this and I hope to meet some off you at an open day or at the shows.

Steve

Re: Hello everyone and can you help please.

Hi Steve and welcome to the forum. You seem to like a challenge but the V8 is found in several cabrios so Im sure it can be done. Hope it goes well and we will see you at Stoneleigh

Comment

Hi Steve,

Welcome.

Do you have the reg of the Roadster?

That might help others to identify the history of the vehicle.

Adrian

Comment

Hi Adrian

Yes good point the Reg is HKX 354N and hopefully the pics show more detailIMG_1516.jpgIMG_2096.jpg

Steve

Comment

Blimey Steve, you nearly gave me a heart attack! My Roadster was originally red and has the chassis number 2734, close or what! Good luck with your projects cheers Chris.

Comment

^ was the young lady a factory supplied extra? - if so wasn't offered that ;-)

Comment

If the previous owner can remember the MOT station that did the Mot's you may be able to trace back copy's. approx. dates would help. Possibly the previous insurance company may also be able to confirm the car was in operation as a Marlin?? It would be handy if someone had some pictures of the car earlier in its life. Best of luck with DVLA.
              Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Welcome along! Most of the V8s were built as such, but there maybe someone who has converted from Ford four-pot. The main differences are the engine mounts and conversion to hydraulic clutch. A special pedal box was supplied for this. Similar obstacles exist if you want to go the BMW engine/box route. The main advantage of a BMW straight six over the Rover V8 is that the beemer will run cool, the V8 may not! However help is at hand if you need it. Try to get to a meeting and have a look/chat, you're welcome even in a tintop!

Comment

hi Steve
                  When Paul designed the Cabrio he made it so that he could fit a V8.
                  There are a number in the club.
                  If you send me your email address I can send you my workshop manual and try to answer any questions you have on a V8 Cabrio
                  Derek Cabrio tech rep

Comment

Working...
                  X