No floor / tunnel now

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No floor / tunnel now

The floor in my Roadster had previously been removed by simply standing on it - that rotten !
    Today it was remove the tunnel. I got fed up trying to undo hidden nuts so attacked it with an angle grinder as a new, slimmer, tunnel planned and the old was getting binned.
    It was then possible to see prop shaft and the angles don't seem right. Prop was removed and it was then obvious the gearbox flange is around 3" higher than the diff flange. That wouldn't be too bad if they were pointing at each other but they aren't. I'm raising the rear by removing the lowering blocks and the different is then going to be even worse. The original Marina 1800TC engine and gearbox are going to be replaced by a 1275 and A Series gearbox and hopefully I can correct the prop angle at the same time.

Paul H

Re: No floor / tunnel now

There are various different gearbox brackets described in different build manuals.
    I have never got to the bottom of it, but I suspect that efforts were made to keep the various engine/carburettor combinations horizontal, front to back, rather than match up gearbox to propshaft height. When being driven, certainly in my Roadster with a 100kg driver, the prop spends a lot of time horizontal, with the diff occasionally higher than the gearbox tail shaft. With a full tank of fuel that's another 50kg all pretty much on top of the back axle!
    MOC member since 05/97
    1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
    1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
    Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Re: No floor / tunnel now

Hi I am away during the week, but I have a manual that describes the position of the gearbox and shaft relationship. I will scan it in on Friday night and post it here.

Adran

Comment

Working...
      X