Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scammed !

Sorry to all who have emails from me.

Just looking at my computer this morning...I have no contacts in my list !....they have been stolen despite fully active McAfee software

To anyone who gets an email from me....I am NOT overseas !

Sorry again

Rgds DC

Re: Scammed !

happened to my brother in law about 3 weeks ago, he also had mcafee, he's now changed to avg(grisoft)free without further probs
    I kept getting stupidly titled mail, which was a good alert!
    Obviously a hole somewhere in Mcafee so giving hackers a way in!
    Last edited by Tony Stott; 15-05-14, 09:52 AM.

Comment

Cheers Tony. My email folders and contacts are stripped and no mails in

As in another thread, I'm getting advice

Rgds DC

Comment

Hi DC . I got one yesterday, knew straight away it was'nt kosher. They only wanted a couple of grand+. Liz would have had more than that in her purse. Regards David

Comment

Love you too DS !!

Advice and action taken and emails are safe again now...but I've lost all my contacts

Anyone want to send me their details again, and I'll try to build the list

Tks to all who helped

Rgds DC

Comment

Hi DC,
            Same thing happened to me a couple of years ago. Had to cancel all my credit cards etc. Glad to hear that you are safe and sound. When I got the email this morning I did think it rather an odd place to be on holiday. Not your average destination. Incidentally I also switched to AVG Free and have never had any problems since!
            Regards,
            Chris

Comment

Thanks Chris. I reloaded McAfee and did a full scan (It is part of the BT package) then downloaded free "malwarebytes" on the advice of a friend

Would you believe it found 73 possible problems ! Currently doing the same with my laptop

Rgds DC

Comment

fyi........

some useful tips and advice at the end of this article,,,,,,,

Comment

Thanks Peter, that's too familiar

Rgds DC

Comment

My scam got past Norton cost me about £150 and 2 weeks before I managed to get my system back!

Comment

OH Dear it looks like Liz has had the same message today or is she on holiday again in the Philippines??????????????????????
                      Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

The note says "the hotel manager won't let us leave until we settle the bills about £2,550 (GBP)"
                        I knew it had to be fake Liz would never scrimp like that.
                        Paul

Comment

We have had one too.

Terresa

Comment

This is quite a common scam at the moment so it pays for everyone to be alert. The thing that amuses me is that if their wallets and phones have been stolen how can they send me an email from abroad? Im guessing this sort of thing will be on the increase in the future and the scammers will get increasingly clever about it - so keep alert

By the way - because im a nerd - I can tell you that the email purportedly which came from Liz actually originated (the isp) in Massey Street or Tokumbo Street, Lagos, Nigeria.

Big brother is watching....mwuhahhaaa
                            Last edited by cameronfurnival; 11-06-14, 12:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by cameronfurnival View Post
                              This is quite a common scam at the moment so it pays for everyone to be alert. The thing that amuses me is that if their wallets and phones have been stolen how can they send me an email from abroad? Im guessing this sort of thing will be on the increase in the future and the scammers will get increasingly clever about it - so keep alert
                              Apart from the fact that free wifi is available worldwide, whether in Bars, Restaurants, Shopping centres etc. Internet access is pretty much available anywhere. I am in a Bar as I type this......

The incidence of phishing attacks is apparently on the increase. Whether these sorts of emails are supposedly from associates, friends, or your bank or other financial organisations questioning your account details etc. they must be treated with caution, even if their appearance replicates a web page or logo that you are familiar with.

Never use links embedded in an email to respond to these emails or infact any email. If you suspect they may be valid, always contact the organisations or individuals by another means, whether by opening a new session of your browser and going direct to their website or by contacting them by phone or emailing a known address.
                              For example I received an email allegedly from BT, the phishing attack that I suspect DC experienced, I have also had similar emails from my UK bank, Spanish bank and Paypal, all of which have proved to be fraudulent.
                              I suspect that DC's BT address book has been copied, and we can expect other emails supposedly from his contacts.

It is worth noting that no Antivirus software can protect you from clicking a fraudulent link, though they are getting better at identifying phishing emails, they are not perfect.
                              MOC member since 05/97
                              1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
                              1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
                              Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
                              The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Working...
                              X