Remove the propshaft.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remove the propshaft.

Took the propshaft off today as a little bit of wear in the u/ j at the front. When I say a little bit I am probably economical with the truth...
    The needles were missing and the metal has worn through the outer part of the joint and worn away part of the flange where the bearing locates, and also part of the retaining nuts. I didn't realise there was a grease nipple on the front one, and there wasn't! Just a hole where it should be...
    Told you there was a noise...
    Anyway, it got me home from Stoneleigh and the nice men at Firow Propshafts are sorting me out.
    Keep you posted.
    Gareth.

Re: Remove the propshaft.

Good news Gareth, must have been quite some noise !
    Rgds DC

Comment

Not completely unusual to have a missing grease nipple, many replacement kits did not have them included.
      Worth checking when its on the car that the prop will still turn without the nipple fouling on the yoke, in fact it might be worth fitting a sealed for life UJ,
      MOC member since 05/97
      1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
      1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
      Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
      The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

To be honest Dave, I thought it was the clutch starting to come loose, but yes, it was a bit loud by the time I got home.
        Thought of that, Steve. That is on my check list and may have to put a dummy one in there and swap it when it needs greasing.
        Gareth.

Comment

Gareth,.................Now is the time to think about a safety strap under the prop shaft. If that joint had failed completely think about where the rear half of the shaft would go. I am surprised it didn't get picked up on the MOT.
          Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Originally posted by b.caswell View Post
            Gareth,.................Now is the time to think about a safety strap under the prop shaft. If that joint had failed completely think about where the rear half of the shaft would go. I am surprised it didn't get picked up on the MOT.
            I don't disagree that a safety strap around the prop shaft would not be a good idea, Not just under, but around. I have one, as the prop can be spinning at 6000 rpm a few inches from your hip in a Roadster.

But where in the MOT Inspection manual does the absence of a prop shaft safety strap become potential MOT failure?
            MOC member since 05/97
            1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
            The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Comment

I didn't mean the lack of a safety strap!! more the condition of the prop shaft but must admit I don't know if it would be inspected.

Comment

How did you make the safety strap Steve?

Comment

A safety strap has been thought about, Ben, in view of what could have happened. The noise started end of last year, but have only done a few miles since, and the bearing, having decided it was going to pack up, did so very quickly, probably because the propshaft is not in a perfect straight line. And listening to the noise, I would never have thought it was coming from there.
                  Might make strong two piece square bracket to line the wall of the tunnel and bolt it to the floor.
                  The MOT guy, who is a friend of mine, would definitely have picked up on it and warned me, but the MOT is due next week, so last year it was fine.
                  Moral of the story is if you hear a noise check it out asap.
                  I'd be paranoid if I did that in a Roadster.
                  Will let you know when I get the shaft back on and if the company is worth recommending, should have it back today.
                  Gareth.

Comment

Originally posted by cameronfurnival View Post
                    How did you make the safety strap Steve?
                    Rater than get complicated, a simple fabricated U shape, upside down, bolted in the transmission tunnel, all made from thick wall box section, but I sealed and tapped the bottom ends so that the U could be closed off underneath with a flat bar or opened up to release the prop if necessary. The top corners of the upside down U were chamfered to give clearance for the brake and fuel lines that run at the very top of my transmission tunnel.

I recall one post some time back when an Alfa engined? car with a rubber donut UJ that began to fail, and the donut actually wore through the fuel line.
                    MOC member since 05/97

Comment

Originally posted by stevejgreen View Post
                      I don't disagree that a safety strap around the prop shaft would not be a good idea, Not just under, but around. I have one, as the prop can be spinning at 6000 rpm a few inches from your hip in a Roadster.

But where in the MOT Inspection manual does the absence of a prop shaft safety strap become potential MOT failure?
                      Ahh, thanks for clarification.
                      MOC member since 05/97

Comment

Well, propshaft back and fitted and got the car out of the garage to go for a test ride and the weather put paid to that as it decided to thunder and lightning. Seems all ok up and down the drive anyway.
                        I took a picture of before and after. See if you can spot the difference!
                        Firow Propshafts in Holmes Chapel by Northwich, Cheshire did the job and were very helpful if anybody needs a similar job doing.
                        Gareth.
                        Attached Files

Comment

So close to letting go, is that a new prop or just a new end looks good .

Comment

It's a new one Ben, and most of the damage to the old one was done on the way back from Stoneleigh, I think.
                            Close call, methinks!
                            Gareth.

Comment

In standard spec the prop shaft flange bolts should be HT ones, so a little more resilient.

An aside question to this is, what are people's opinions over which way round the prop should be fitted, sliding joint at the gearbox or axle end.?

The standard split prop on a Marina has a centre bearing, so the sliding section is at the axle end.
                              MOC member since 05/97

Comment

Working...
                              X