Not so much a rebuild as an engine swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not so much a rebuild as an engine swap

Last year I managed to destroy my Ford 2.0 DOHC engine last year by having the head gasket go, followed by completely getting the engine timing wrong resulting in valve hitting pistons, damage to the camshafts. Doh!

Anyway I got a replacement engine from Lee, however the original ran on Carbs and the replacement has fuel injection. It came with wiring loom, which even included the ABS system. However the ignition module seemed to be missing and to be honest I was daunted by the number of wires in the loom. I did consider just chopping out the ones that were not connected to the engine wiring loom but I wasn't sure what the side effect of that might be.

Seeing an nice blue Marlin around Weymouth as I was going to and from work made me decide to final get off my backside and get on with the job. Still worried about the ECU I have finally decided to get a Megajolt ECU.

So yesterday it was take out the old engine and get the replacement ready for insertion. I tweaked by back yesterday so today is a day of rest, however a few questions have arisen and I am hoping that the knowledgeable of you out there may be able to enlighten me.

Picture 1: curly black pipe with rusty object in it. Its obviously the fuel supply. What is the rusty object? should there be a jubilee clip on the pipe?
    Picture 2: Pressure regulator. Where does the black pipe go?
    Picture 3:Plenum chamber: engine side. What goes on here? Where does it go to?
    Picture 4:Plenum chamber: outside side. What goes on here? Where does it go to?
    Nearly final question, Vacuum takeoff for the servo. Where does that go (if none of the above).
    Final question: Low pressure fuel pump at the rear of the car, I plan to put a high pressure pump in the engine bay. Is a swirl pot necessary?
    Attached Files

Re: Not so much a rebuild as an engine swap

I have some sympathy Chris - having suffered various mishaps lately I'm struggling to find the enthusiasm to strip the engine yet again (this time to find out whether the rings have gone or just a stuck hydraulic lifter). Tempted to throw a sheet over the car & pretend it doesn't exist..!

I don't know the Ford engine but conceptually...

- The fuel pressure regulator goes at the end of the fuel rail...surplus fuel needs a return circuit to either your swirl pot or back to the tank.
    - The fuel pressure regulator needs a connection to the plenum to provide the necessary vacuum (this will be a small diameter hose).
    - You will need a swirl pot unless you have a sumped fuel tank (to prevent fuel starvation on cornering).
    - The swirl pot (if fitted) will need to have a return line to the tank.
    - Servo hose will fit to the plenum (probably to the largest available spigot)
    - Only use good quality injection-rated hose & always use barbed fittings & clips for the pressurised side (fuel at 3 bar goes a very long way)
    - Have a fire extinguisher handy at all times when messing with injection systems..!
    Marlin Roadster, LWB...1860 B Series + Ford Type 9
    Renault Espace 54mm front calipers, vented discs, cycle wings and adjustable tie-bars.

Comment

HI Chris
      Pic 1, yes and yes.
      Pic 2. the pipe goes to a tube on the underside of the air intake plenum at the front just under the throttle butterfly.
      Pic 3. This should go to the amplifier unit. I will try to photograph it.
      Pic 4 is the point for the idle control valve to attach to.

efi1.jpg

EFi2.jpg This is the amplifier . It is mounted remote from the engine. My engine didn't have one when I bought it but i found one quite easily on fleabay. Make sure you keep the wires in the loom for it.

EFi3.jpg
      This is how I attached the idle control valve. Again easy to come by if you dont have one. Plenum to intake side then a filter on the end which would have attached to the air box.
      Last edited by cameronfurnival; 01-06-14, 05:19 PM.

Comment

Hi Cameron,
        Thanks for the reply!
        A couple more questions I am afraid.
        I've attached another photo.
        I can't see where the other end of the idle speed valve lives, am I stupid or what?

I have a dangling servo vacuum pipe. I assume it goes onto one of the connectors on the left of the manifold.

Chris
        Attached Files

Comment

Here is a pic of the original Sierra installation Chris. If you look to the left of the plenum you will see a rubber hose coming off the spigot. It runs round the front to the idle control valve which mates to the plastic air trunking. You can see it in these pics.
          2_0_DOHC_EFI.jpg
          dohcefi.jpg

The spare bit of pipe looks like it might be the vacuum take off for the servo so goes to the takeoff on the right (capped on yours), although it doesn't matter which one you use.

And heres a pic I got from a foreign site which shows where all the sensors are...

dohcsensor.jpg

MAP - Manifold Absolute Pressure
          FPR - Fuel Pressure Regulator
          TPS - Throttle Position Sensor
          IATC - Intake Air Temperature Charge
          IACV - Idle Air Control Valve
          CPS - Crankshaft Position Sensor
          CTS - Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor
          Note the way the Idle control valve has been plumbed in as the original air cleaner is no longer being used.
          Last edited by cameronfurnival; 02-06-14, 07:02 PM.

Comment

Brill!
            Thanks a lot!

Comment

ECU and HP fuel pump ordered, plus fuseboxes and relays, also idle control valve and new TPS as I managed to break the original when installing the engine

Cameron, where did you get your air filters from?

Chris

Comment

the air filter is in fact a K&N filter for a VW beetle iirc It fit straight on the end of the throttle body and needed just a jubilee clip tightening.

Comment

Next question in an infinite series. Idle control valve - did you have to make the black widget that has the air filter on one side and the pipe to the plenum chamber on the other side. Is the IDC floating in space or rixed to a bracket?

Comment

yep i made a plate out of steel and welded on a couple of tubes. It is attached to the plenum via a 2" piece of pipe so is quite secure and doesnt wobble.

Comment

So not much has happened in the garage, laid low with shingles. I've been accumulating bits and pieces and should be ready to start putting it all together. I got the megasquirt ready assembled from http://www.extraefi.co.uk/ who seem to have it basically configured for the type of engine you tell them you have got. I had to acquire some relays and fuze box, which I have wired up into a little loom.
                      I tried to use the engine bay wiring loom and connectors, but despite buzzing out wires I had a real job identifying which wire was which. The Ford colour scheme seems to be brown/yellow for nearly everything with brown as the earth. It wasn't made easier with the loom having earth wires joined in the middle. So I decided to cut open the loom and use just the wires needed. I got a neat set of automotive connectors from http://polevolt.co.uk/

Following Cameron's example I made a plate to go on the idle control valve. I think his welding is much neater than mines, it is ages since I've used my rather agricultural arc welder. This is the result:
                      Attached Files

Comment

As my 2 year old grandson says "whtszat?"

This strange (and very rusty item) is in the feed to the fuel rail. Any idea what it is or what it does? It does not seem to be mentioned in the Haynes manual.
                        Attached Files

Comment

It looks like a fuel pressure regulator, and the fact that the hoses are not secured with hose clips would worry me, because as you say it is in the fuel feed pipe and therefore under pressure if it's on an EFi.

Comment

I thought it probably was. None of the fuel lines on the replacement engine has clips on them, or signs there ever were. I am still a little confused as there is a pressure regulator on the fuel rail, which retrns to the tank. I am planning to put clips everwhere, just in in case.

Comment

Some modern cars have regulators on the return line as I found out a few years ago when I replaced the pump motor in my intank fuel pump. I had not noticed when I fitted the Ford Focus pump unit that hidden in the body of it was regulator on the return side, also on the OHC pinto EFi fuel rail is the fuel regulator. It was too much to pressure 2 regulators , henceforth the pump started to give up the ghost. Solution remove the intank regulator, no problems since. Fuel lines without clips you must like to live on the edge! The fuel lines do not resemble modern day fuel injection material. Incidentally did you have a carb version before the EFi, if so I would replace all the fuel lines for safety and peace of mind.
                              Last edited by philcoyle; 08-03-15, 02:25 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X