Off up North.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Off up North.

I'm looking forward to a little trip up north next Monday, to see my daughter in Morpeth, going via the Kirkstone Pass by Windermere, then accross the M6 at Penrith and up the Hartside Pass then crossing country to Morpeth.
    Next day, I'm carrying on to Moffat to meet my biking mates returning from their trip around Scotland, via Hawick and Peeples. And then back to Chester on Wednesday, via Kirby Longsdale.
    Just hope I can have the hood down!
    If anyone knows some really good roads up that way, let me know.
    Taking the camera so hope to get a couple of good shots for the calandar!
    Gareth.

Re: Off up North.

After the Hartside pass you could head for Alston and then carry on down Weardale to Killhope and on to Stanhope. As you arrive in Stanhope take a left up crawleyside bank. it's a steep mile long climb with some interesting bends. once on the top head for Lanchester then through the village center and up church peth (narrow road to the left of the church) to Burnhope. both crawleyside and church peth where used in the 1930's as test hills for the major motor manufacturers. Follow the same road number from crawleyside until you reach the A68 Turn left SP Corbridge. You can follow the A68 to the A69 near Hexham. Head east towards Newcastle and the A1 North to Morpeth. Apart from the A69 /A1 section the rest is great driving roads and good countryside
    David

Comment

Cheers Dave, that's really interesting. I'll have a look on the map and give it a go!
      Thanks, Gareth.

Comment

Got back today with over 500 miles covered. Going up the M6 the motorway was interesting...the rain was torrential and about an inch deep on the road. I haven't seen rain this bad for along time. I gave the Kirkstone Pass a miss as the storm looked worse that way and did it today on the way back. After a late breakfast at the top of the Hartside Pass, the storm caught with me again on the way down towards Hexam.
        I had a brilliant drive across to Moffat and passed another red roadster on the A68. Sorry, don't know who you were, I slowed down just in case they came back for a chat.
        I am so pleased with this car. Not once did the car misfire in the wet and the hood never leaked and it's possible to drive with just the hood and no side screens and still keep dry. The engine used no oil and the oil still looks like new. Didn't even have to top up the radiator. And the new propshaft has cured all the earlier noises.
        Had to call in at Devil's Bridge on the way back and have a bacon butty as my old biking habits die hard.
        Gareth.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Gareth; 11-06-14, 10:15 PM.

Comment

Hi Gareth, It was me !!!
          I was returning home from the Shetlands Classic Motor Show. I had docked in Aberdeen at 0730 and pointed South. I did a bit of a sightseeing detour around the Borders and actually diverted through Morpeth for old times sake (I used to work at Boulmer!). I saw you and didn't know whether to throw in a U-ey or not! We must devise a Marlin specific signal to show the others we would like a chat!
          In all I did 723 miles in 13½ hours once I arrived at my home in Cornwall at 2100. Did over 2000 miles all hood down. My face is peeling off. My car is a 26 year old red and black Berlinetta, Vulcan 2.1 litre injected Pinto. She went perfectly for the entire trip except for ejecting one of her tiny wiper blades on the rainy way up.
          I'm sorry, I should have stopped for a chat. Next time I will. Now for that signal - maybe the "M" hand movement from the karaoke version of "YMCA". Ah, a snag. I wouldn't have any hands on the steering. Back to the drawing board.
          Best wishes and happy Marlining!
          Marlin Berlinetta 2.1 Efi

Comment

Hi Dane,
            Respect for keeping the hood down all that time. Did you not get caught in the rain, or are you still drying out?!!
            Made my day to see another Marlin out and about.
            Gareth.

Comment

On the way up from Cornwall the drizzly light rain started at about preston and continued up as far as Inverness. From then on it was just a few showers. I had the hood down all the way but the Berli's keep fairly dry as long as they are traveling at more than 35 mph. If one is foolhardy enough to exceed 70mph (perish the thought) then the rain starts to curve round on to the inside of the windscreen!!

The car didn't get too damp inside and soon dried out between showers. After I saw you, on my way home, there were stair rod heavy showers in the midlands. I kept at about 65 mph and the rain only got on to the interior mirror really. I don't much like traveling with the hood up as I feel like I am sitting in a post box.

If not before, I'll be up North and doing it all again in June 2016 for the next Shetlands Classic Car Show.

Photos -
              1. At Land's End 2030 02 June
              2. At JOG 1430 03 June
              3 At Saxa Vord Most Northerly bit of British Isles tarmac 1900 04 June
              4. At end of shale track - Me with Muckle Flugga in background 1930 04 June.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Dane_Rescueman; 21-06-14, 08:23 PM. Reason: Found some pix

Comment

oops, I'm sorry the pictures are a bit large! Try right click, select "view picture".
                To return to post use back button. I'll reduce future pictures to save confusion. sorry.

Comment

Working...
                X