Hopscotch trip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hopscotch trip

A quick update on our trip round to the Marlin runs and islands in Scotland. We very much enjoyed the runs and can’t thank Liz, Doug Billings, Stewart, Gillian and the rest of the Macdonald clan enough.
    From Cardross we headed to Ullapool via Lochgilphead and Loch Linnhe. One of the great drives in the world we had covered part it on the run but everything looks different when travelling in the opposite direction. I was pleased to be in a convoy of two classic open top Mercedes part of the way although they were a bit slow. We also spotted a series of vintage cars travelling towards us. As the day wore on the weather got worse. We arrived at Ullapool to thunder, lightning and torrential rain. The weather was better by the time we boarded the ferry and remained pretty good, if not fantastic, for the rest of our trip.
    We stayed two nights in a bed and breakfast in Stornoway. This was just enough time to get a taste of the Island and enjoy visits to the Blackhouse at Arnol and Calanais standing stones. We then travelled south to Harris via Luskintyre Beach to catch the ferry to Uist.
    On Uist we stayed at Lockmaddy for two nights. It is the first time I have stayed in a hotel with a “Rod Room” to put your fishing rods in. We drove to the southern end of South Uist, spectacular scenery. While at the hotel I noticed a couple of cars pull into the car park and their drivers get out inspect Millie then drive off. I also found a number of times drivers and passengers would indicate their appreciation of Millie. I discovered the classic cars spotted near Loch Linnhe staying in a nearby hotel.
    We returned via Skye to Mallaig driving to Bridge of Alan in the evening. This was an amazing drive, over a hundred miles of spectacular scenery and virtually no traffic. Outstanding!
    We returned via the Yorkshire Dales noting how the roads got more and more crowded as we headed south.
    All in all it was a very enjoyable 2,000 mile journey. It provided my first chance to really take pleasure in Millie’s new engine after her rolling road tune up. She performed beautifully returning 34mpg.
    Paul
    Attached Files
Working...
X