Rover V8 Gearbox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rover V8 Gearbox

I am looking for a replacement 5 speed gearbox for my Rover V8, or suggestions as to the possibilities of re manufactured items and anybodies experience with any companies etc.
    The engine is of the 1976 - 19887 vintage and has become very "sloppy" although it does work and only occasionally causing difficulty in engaging 1st gear, having to slot it into 2nd and then forward into 1st.

Michael T
    YKC 1994 Roadster LWB 3.5 Rover V8

Re: Rover V8 Gearbox

Hi Michael. I have a couple of spare LT77 boxes which you could take your pick from (won't be expensive). My contact details are in Pitstop (Peak District meet) . Regards David

Comment

Thanks for that David, I will be in touch, by email

Comment

Thanks to David I now have a replacement gearbox which is now being rebuilt by a local transmission company
        thanks

Comment

The guy who stripped and rebuilt the gearbox said it was in exceptionally good order only requiring a couple of minor parts, new oil seals and gaskets and it only cost £180 and is guaranteed.
          Fitting to follow shortly

Comment

I found the rubber bushes holding the remote change had perished on FMB.
            When I replaced them it seems a better change.

Comment

Thanks for that I had heard the same from the transmission company who did the refurbishment , they suggested using polypropylene bushes ( which I can make) but not sure if they will be too hard and transmit too much vibration, although there are probably a lot of other things that rattle and vibrate so it's probably not noticeable anyway. However it would be nice to know before putting the new box back in as it's not a 2 minute job. Any experience out there?

Comment

Hi Michael, I would do the bushes too - as you say its a fiddle with a gearbox of that size, although i would have thought normal rubber would have been fine. I had one in my Romero before I swapped out for something a bit more...small! The LT77 gearbox is very much maligned but as long as you don't tow the car without disconnecting the prop they are usually good iirc

Comment

Working...
                X