Painting 'Tolkien' the roadster prototype

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Painting 'Tolkien' the roadster prototype

After what seems like months I have managed to get the car smooth and today gave it a coat of Gulf Red 2 pack.
    At the moment all the bits are in the garage and I will leave them til Monday to get nice and hard before I decide what to do next.
    Hopefully i won't have to many corrections to make!!!
    It has a trailer and I sprayed that 1st to get the feel of the sprayer. The inside look OK but the outside seemed to react to some previous paint so I will have to sort that out.

Re: Painting 'Tolkien' the roadster prototype

I think I used hammerite smooth.regards
    Liz

Comment

I thought it was something like that. Perhaps some primer will act as a barrier. If not I will have to remove physically remove the blue paint.
      However the paint on Tolkien seems to be taking it's time getting hard!!

Comment

Afternoon djj. I was thinking ( Always a dangerous pastime) have you taken the Roadster apart to paint it or have you left it complete, they seem difficult to paint evenly due to all the curves and hollows etc, I'm going to paint the body and panels separately as I think thats where the previous paint job went wrong, there were runs all over it and some were hard to get at -- it had a nice gloss though. Have you undercoated it etc ?

Comment

Has it dried?

Comment

Hi,

If you are unaware of the previous paint type that you are spraying over then it is recommended that you put down a layer of Barcoat. This is an isolator and will stop any further paints reacting with previous layers. 2K will react with acrylic and celluose and visa versa.
            Jon
            Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 1800 Fiat Twin Cam engine and 5 speed Abarth gearbox built in 1987
            - I have no idea what I am talking about........ but my advice is always free! -

Comment

Yes the body is stripped to individual pieces and no the paint hasn't dried.
              It was removed with cloths and 5 litres of thinners.
              My paint supplier told me of someone who bought 25 litres of thinners to strip his Land Rover, rather him than me after a day in my garage with thinners.
              I think the headache will soon go!!!!
              I have another litre of red paint and may spray it on Monday or leave it til after the Suffolk weekend.

Comment

Derek if its two pack are you using the correct amount of activator/hardener. Be careful with the solvents as not only breathing in causes problems but also absorbing through the skin also.
                Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Morning Djj, I must say I'm quite interested in your project especially the top coat painting, it would be nice to see how we compare as it's the part of my project I least look forward to attempting, it's about 20 years since I last used a paint sprayer as part of my job.

Comment

Working...
                  X