stoneleigh 2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stoneleigh 2014

stoneleigh came and went, good to see the all marlins together the show was good,but now there is no[ best modified] class in the club, after, is it 20 odd years? there is no point in me going again shall leave it to best endeavour?

Re: stoneleigh 2014

Originally posted by Dbdelboy View Post
    stoneleigh came and went, good to see the all marlins together the show was good,but now there is no[ best modified] class in the club, after, is it 20 odd years? there is no point in me going again shall leave it to best endeavour?
    Are you suggesting the only point for taking your Marlin to the Stoneleigh show was to win Best Modified?

I hope the club, and our stands at shows, means a lot more than that to other members - and general show visitors too?

The Best Endeavour award was created to try to stop the issuing of prizes to a small group of elitist Marlin cars and members. The best in category prizes are a bit like school prizes .................they always seem to go to the same people, and same cars, year after year.

There are many others who know they will never win, but bringing their cars to the shows is as important, if not more so, than the few cars that win prizes: they are the bedrock of our club. We have a club because we have members who enjoy owning a Marlin. The shows around the country are our opportunity to get together meet like minded owners and have a look at lots of other Marlins: and of course to share our passion with a paying public. I really hope it is not seen as an opportunity for just the few prize winners to show off their cars?

The idea of Best Endeavour was to encourage all those "other" Marlin owners (builders, and particularly now restorers) by making a statement that putting a lot of personal effort and time into getting their Marlin going (again), making it roadworthy, and then bringing it along to the MOC stand to show it off and be proud of their efforts, is equally as important to the club as those who have lavished a lot of money on their cars.

We need all our members to bring their cars along to the various shows around the country. Over recent years it has been alarming that Roadster and Berlinetta numbers at the shows has fallen sharply. These models are the back bone of our club, and we need to be encouraging more of their owners to bring their cars along to the meetings.

Maybe "Best Endeavour" is a difficult concept to judge, and there may be a better term, or classification, we could create, - all ideas are welcome.

Equally "Most Modified" has come to have little or no meaning within the Marlin club these days. As the years roll by many early pioneering modifications have now been copied by newer members upgrading old Marlins to a point where there are few if any now built to the original Marlin manual.
    The number of Marlins which are now uniquely modified and stand out from all the others (and I could include my own under that banner having cut the entire central transmission tunnel out of a Cabrio, along with parts of the firewall, to fit modern wide Audi A4 seats for comfort and gain greater pedal access) are few and far between, and because of their extreme nature, have little to offer the wider membership.

If a "Best Endeavour" prize does not work, what other suggestions do we have to encourage all those members with Marlins who will not win prizes to bring them to the shows and join us on the Marlin stands to show the world what our club is really about?

Mike

Comment

Re: stoneleigh 2014

Never to late to praise the Stoneleigh show, in all it shows to the world. But was it me or was this years show running at only 70% of it's usual things to see, (sign of the times)
      Each year at the AGM, i have felt that the Awards,with the members now voting the cars themshelves as in the past 2-3 yrs, would be feel better (myshelf inclued) knowing if or any one else voted for there car or not (numbers) would if not winning an award at lease be welcomed by the owner(s) Possible on a notice board after the meeting, or publised in Pitstop at a later date, as i feel that whether you've emptied your pocket or wallet to be there, or you've travelled 1 mile or 2000 miles to be there. As "MARLIN" a car to be proud off, Not just awards to the few. I feel that i'm doing my bit each day to ensure that my car will still be on the road for many more years to come, and that it will still be in use long after i expire this life (which is a long way away yet!) 1989 Berlinetta. Used 24/7/365 days a year. not a toy to play with when the sun comes out.

Comment

Working...
      X