Fitted the MGF wheels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fitted the MGF wheels

After a lot of sleep (part of my health issues) managed to get enough energy to swop the current alloys for the MGF wheels, I bought yesterday, early this evening. The holes are bigger than the Marina studs so will definitely go the larger Freelander studs idc. No problem at rear but tyre JUST touches the lock washer on upright at the front. In fact if the lock washer edge was either trimmed / ground or bent down then there would be no clearance problem. I reckon 10mm spacer will be more than sufficient even with lock washer left untouched.
    Anyway IMO the steel wheels look far better than the KN Minilite copies. Unfortunately they are 14" so my 15" Volvo P1800 trim rings won't fit
    For hubcaps might do the same as the 2CV - attach with central bolt rather than fitting "buttons" around the rim. A simple saddle type bent piece of steel with captive nut could attach to unused holes between the wheel bolts for such a central hubcap bolt.

Paul H

Re: Fitted the MGF wheels

I think it will help people reading this forum a couple of years from now, to make it clear that you are talking about the MGF Steel Spacsaver Spare wheels, and not the standard road wheels fitted to an MGF.
    MOC member since 05/97
    1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
    1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
    Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

The MGF steel wheels are a normal wheel and not a skinny spacesaver. They have standard Goodyear 175/65/14 tyre.

Comment

You are both correct actually. The steel spare wheel in the MGF was considered by Rover as a space saving spare wheel due to the fact that it is 14" diameter and using a 175 ratio tyre. When compared to the MGF alloy which came in 15", 16" and 17" diameters running 205 - 235 ratio tyres then in relative terms it could be considered as saving space. There was an option for you to have a full sized alloy instead if you wanted. It is also true however that this steel wheel is a genuine road wheel as fitted as standard to low spec Montego and Maestro cars. Just so happened that Rover had a barn full of them left over so thought they would make use of them.
        Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 1800 Fiat Twin Cam engine and 5 speed Abarth gearbox built in 1987
        - I have no idea what I am talking about........ but my advice is always free! -

Comment

Thanks for clarification.
          MOC member since 05/97
          1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
          The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Comment

MGF-Desert-Rally-Tuareg-850x295.jpg

NAM7199PMN.jpg

This could be another useful mod as there are thousands of good used alloys out there that will fit the mgf

Comment

Tread with care.
              It's the offset that is critical. Check both wheels and tyre sizes before committing. IMHO
              MOC member since 05/97

Comment

Working...
              X