Welding How To's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welding How To's

Having just inherited an Arc Welder are there are any top tips, do's, don't's, gotchas I need to be aware of before I turn it on!??

Cheers

Re: Welding How To's

Message originally posted by: Bernie Marks
    If you have never used one before, get yourself on a course. Arc welders can be destructive to you and components of your car! If it is old, get it PAT tested.

Comment

Message originally posted by: Jez Shimell
      Throw it away and get a mig instead , much easier to handle .

Comment

Message originally posted by: Malcolm Sherratt
        All a bit negative gents. Arc welding, in common with all other welding techniques, is a perfectly good method of jointing when done correctly.
        Whilst I agree that MIG welding is easier for the beginner with a little practice arc welding is often just as good especially on metal over 3mm and does not consume any gas.
        Check the insulation on the welder to mains cable, make sure the earth clamp, and lead is in good condition, check the insulation on the electrode clamp and cable and make sure the connections of both leads to the welder are clean and tight.
        Get a decent Arc welding mask and a set of welding gloves and then start to practice on scrap metal, you will have to weld for a bout 20 feet before you get the hang of it, then try welding vertically and then overhead when you have perfected these on scrap then you can start on decent metal.
        In welding Practice really does make perfect.
        Good luck
        Malcolm Sherratt

Comment

Buy yourself a book and make sure you have a good mask. A means of dealing with any small fire is useful ie a sqeezy bottle full of water.Old rods may be useless but try drying them in a slow oven.Clean Clean Clean the join and Practice then cut open the joint to see how good it was.Eyes down Best of luck.
          Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

I would recommend one of those automatic LCD masks, it makes striking the arc in the right place so much easier without having to flip the mask up/down all the time. I bought one a couple of years ago - it was the best investment I made for welding. I use it on MIG, TIG, Gas & Arc. Since I bought mine the price has really dropped, they can be bought for about ?60 now - I paid twice that.

As has been said previously, practice practice practice, a night school course would be a good idea, this will teach you the basics. I did one about 20 years ago.

Comment

Working...
            X