Fitting my recon rack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fitting my recon rack

Oh Joy ( Though short lived ) my reconditioned rack has finally returned after four weeks, it looks fine, almost as good as new, but for one small problem, one of the 1/2" UNF locking nut's had no thread and had simply been pushed up the rod and the end cap fitted, anyhow it's in place with one wheel attached, then as I fitted the bolt back into the column clamp I noticed there was only half a nut on the bolt on the other end, it had been worn away somehow, but not in it's present position, it had actually been reused in that condition ?? So it was needless to say replaced, as I was jiggling the column about the steering wheel center fell out, it was when I spotted the center locking nut that I had my " Victor Meldrew " moment, it has been tightened up using a hammer and chisel and looks a right mess, I'd swear that one of this car's owners has took it apart and rebuilt it from scrap parts using a hammer, chisel, and stilsons. Anyhow, more nut's ordered from Ebay - It's all fun, I like a little moan !!

Re: Fitting my recon rack

Do I recall correctly that your rack had been built by a reputable (?) company, often quoted for Marina spares.
    If so they should be publicly named and shamed within the community.
    MOC member since 05/97
    1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
    1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
    Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

For many centuries the rack was an instrument of torture, seems like it's back ! LoL DC

Comment

Hi Steve, you are correct, and I might well give them a phone call from work today !

Comment

LOL, It's no problem really, I just like moaning !! to be honest, every other nut, bolt or set screw on this car and my replacement engine has been damaged in some way, I have replaced almost every one of them as I work through the car, but I don't mind that too much, what really winds me up is the time lost as it takes 3 days to get replacements, so every time a job stops for want of a nut etc, I lose time, and I've done this about a dozen times now. AND 4 weeks waiting for my rack, lol.

Comment

Working...
          X