Fuel tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel tank

Hi Has any one used the plastic type fuel tanks supplied by car builder solutions?
    What capacity tanks are you all using?
    I am looking at fitting one to a swb mk1 as my current tank's filler neck is level with top of the tank and im sure it will leak out if used like that.
    All info welcome.
    Thanks

Re: Fuel tank

My sons Mk1 uses a Reliant Robin tank that holds about 6gals the tank you have is probably a Hillman Imp tank.The main thing is to ensure the tank is installed firmly.As a gal of fuel weighs about 10lb.If you use a plastic tank dont forget to earth the sender unit and the filler neck.
    Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Message originally posted by: Ben Mk 1 register keeper
      Oh Dave Do I know about your car? Can you Email me your Reg and if pos chassis number and any relevant details then I can update my records of Mk1 cars a pic would be nice.

Comment

Yes Ben, i spoke to you in about 2002 or thereabouts and gave you some details, but unfortuntly extensions and house moves and sporting trials have got in the way.
        But am now back on track with the goal of using her to the Le Mans classic in july. Reg is LPU... not sure of the rest offhand. Regards Dave

Comment

Gotcha, thats the problem with this, now I know who you are Happy New Year Dave Thanks
          Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

The tank on my car has the low filler neck but I was given a bung to stop fuel spilling out. It consists of a wad of chamois leather shoved into a plastic bag. It is a tight fit so there must be a breather in the system. I t works fine with no spillage. Try this before going to a load of trouble.
            Franklin, Leicester

Comment

NICE!

Comment

When I said I shove a bung in the filler neck, perhaps I should have made it clear that it fits in flush with the top of the filler tube so that you can pull on the plastic bag to withdraw it. The filler cap snaps down as normal.
                Franklin, Leicester

Comment

Well i decided to splash out and have a aluminuim tank made to suit. Thanks for the info.

Comment

Working...
                  X