Garage Queens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garage Queens

image.jpgYes after three months of modifications refits and break downs I had reached a point where the handling and general feel of the car was getting to my liking.
    So on Thursday I decided to give it a night run in to the Peak District,a superb warm and fine day ,top down and a tank full of fuel,now having main beam working It would be good to try it in the dark.
    A run through Bakewell on to Monyash and to the Bull-in-Thorn for a nice stake and chips and a pint.
    A super run over with quiet roads so gave it a little blast all seemed well ,then the return in darkness all was well until just out side Bakewell I had just overtaken a tractor on an unlit road ,Cd playing ,heater on ,main beam on all was well really enjoying the run.
    Then it happened total electrical failure ,engine ,lights the lot not a flicker from anything.
    Maximum braking ,pitch Black I could not see a thing ,unlit road ,down hill and a series of bends coming up ,had to keep going ,it was a narrow road and high hedges either side I could just about make out the white line at times so coasted down hill ,then I realised that the car didn't even have rear reflectors I just hoped that no car came up behind me fast ,a car came towards me and sounded its horn I was blinded again and just hoped I could see the white line again soon ,then I saw a street light about two hundred yards ahead on a side road I managed to Coast to it and stop.
    That was one of the most frightening moments I have ever had in a car ,followed by a three hour wait for Green Flag.! !
    Finally getting recovered to home at 2.30 am
    The next day showed everything connected ,a quick run round with the volt meter found the fault.
    An insignificant looking wire with an in line fuse blown .It turned out to be the main feed for the cars electrical system but far too thin for the amps required to run the electrics at night with everything on.It was also Black not red.
    My electrician reckons it was rated at 25 amps but fitted with a 40 amp in line fuse,there was also evidence of over heating of the wire and fuse.
    So easy fix With 60 amp rated wire and fuse.Red this time.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Motormouse_67; 17-08-14, 07:12 PM.

Re: Garage Queens !!! A pain in the Butt!!

Sounds scary! Hope you get it reliable soon. regards Doug & Liz

Comment

After you change your pants I would suggest you split the fused circuits one to feed everything that runs via the ignition circuit and another to feed the auxiliaries and get your self some reflectors.
      Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Re: Garage Queens !!!

Yes my next job ,would like to see what is fitted to other cars for some ideas .
        Last edited by Motormouse_67; 17-08-14, 07:12 PM.

Comment

Hi Peter. Bet you don't get this much excitement with Morgan ownership. Regards David

Comment

Ha ha your right but Marlin ownership is very character building
            Last edited by Motormouse_67; 17-08-14, 07:11 PM.

Comment

How does it pass the MOT if it doesn't have any reflectors?

Comment

Derek. Mine has been on the road for ten years and for the last eight until early this year, has not had reflectors. Most examiners just do not notice............David

Comment

Does it really need the MOT man to tell you," you need reflectors" I think white ones on the front would also be a good idea especially as half the population park facing the wrong way.
                  Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

I don't mean to be critical of your auto electrician, but just raising the fuse value and replacing that short piece of wire may just be moving the problem to the next part of your loom with possible worse consequences. For example, is the next piece of wire from the kill switch to the main fuse board (I assume it does have other fuses?) capable of taking more than 40 amps? The fuse is there to protect the rest of the wiring loom, which in this case it did. It's difficult to see from your photo's but i would not be happy with the way that kill switch is insulated with just black tape and near to other ground points.
                    With this kind of bodge, I would check out the rest of the cars loom for other issues.
                    ...peter

Comment

Yes I'm not happy with the wiring at all .I will get an electrician to check things out ,one feed to everything just can't be right.
                      Last edited by Motormouse_67; 17-08-14, 07:13 PM.

Comment

The previous owner hardly took the car out during the day never mind using it at night with the lights on, as it may get a dead fly on the front light.

Comment

Well worth investing in this unit so you can just connect new individual circuits as required. Peter.

Mounting plate dimensions: 145mm (5¼") x 145mm (5 ¾") Height 75mm (3").

Comment

I would much rather have a garage queen, than a flaky chassis, paint chipped run of the mill cabrio that looks like every other well used cabrio. The cosworth maybe a garage queen but their ain't any in that condition and it should be kept that way and cherished. I understand that a car is to be used and that's fine, but a time and a place.

Comment

Hi Lee
                              Yes I agree I bought the car because I only want a top quality car .However its lack of use has caused quite a problem as can be seen from the constant break downs and problems,Quite disappointing really.
                              I aim to use it all summer and hope by doing so to work out all the bugs and week points.So not only will it be a top notch car but also one that will also be reliable and a joy to drive with out the worry of constant problems through lack of use.
                              You can be assured that it is being well cared for even if it does get wet from time to time .It wont be clean and polished to your standard im sure but still one of the best out there.
                              I hope to continue to improve the car as you did .
                              Regards Peter.
                              Last edited by Motormouse_67; 17-08-14, 07:14 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X