Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• diff / axel upgrade for 1.3 Marina - Marlin

Message originally posted by: bob huntley
    I have a Marlin (Marina based) 1.3 Roadster.
    I requie a diff upgrade to improve the touring quality of the car.
    I believe that the diff ratio is currantly 4.1
    I understand that the Marina 1.8 diff is 3.636, Triumph Dolly 1850 is 3.27 (auto), & 3.63 (manual), RWD Toledo 1500 is 3.89.
    Can anyone help in the sourcing any of the above or suggest another alternative.

Re: diff / axel upgrade for 1.3 Marina - Marlin

Hi BOb Best bet is get a copy of "TRIUMPH WORLD" from your newsagent. All the main suppliers of spares new and used advertise in this mag. Check the backlash on the replacement,as the sun gear and planet wheel thrust washers break up and go missing.With a 1.3 you may find the 3.27 a bit tall.Have a look on ebay you never know. Best of luck.
    Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Hi Bob
      I changed to 3.63 in my 1300 roadster from it's original 4.1 and found it much better for touring,but as Ben says a 3.27 would be way too tall for a 1300.Try Marina spares in Norfolk for a diff.Don't know if you can use the diff from a dolly,apparantly the halfshafts are interchangable,so maybe the diffs are.
      Incidently if you ever need a spare gearbox I have a rebuilt one sitting in my garage[not used since rebuild]I no longer have a roadster so no further use

Comment

Message originally posted by: bob huntley
        Thanks ALAN for the info.
        My current gearbox is ok but a spare would be nice.
        Please could you contact my nephew at john.huntley(at)fsmail.net to give more info about the gearbox.

Comment

Ben again, yes all the Dolly RWD diffs except the sprint will go straight into a Marina axle. Be careful with Dolly half shafts some are shorter than others but not sure if thats a problem or not.
          Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Message originally posted by: andy hudson
            If thats the case that dolly ones fit i have a complete 1500 dolomite axle you can have for ?15. as far as i know its ok. Not too far away from you (Bedford side of Cambridge).I did a reshell and its now surplus. Also at some point in the future(hopefully this year) i will being taking all the 1800 Marina running gear out of my marlin and replacing with a fiat twin cam and Sprint axle. Email me at Andrew.hudson2(at)ntlworld.com if at all interested .

Comment

Working...
            X