Under cover at last

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Under cover at last

Spent most of yesterday emptying the carport so I could get the Roadster underneath. No chance of doing that with the garage as it's full to the brim plus I prefer working outside / under carport. First job is to remove the wings and nose cone so I can get full access for the Sprite 1275 & gearbox transplant. No way is that going to happen today as completely knackered

Paul H

Re: Under cover at last

Not before time given the way that autumn seems to have hit the UK.
    MOC member since 05/97
    1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
    1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
    Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Originally posted by stevejgreen View Post
      Not before time given the way that autumn seems to have hit the UK.
      Exactly. Normally I say I'll sort things out early and then find winter is already upon us ! We live at 800+ feet so get our fair share of wind, snow, rain and other adverse weather. As you say autumn is already here and I had to clear out loads of leaves from under the carport. Next thing is to block off the open end. This happens every year and it's usually a tarp but seeing I've already got gate hinges attached to the poles reckon it's time to sort something proper out. The drive end has gates but more for privacy than anything else. My intention was to build a new shed / workshop and empty the garage for Marlin but health issues have precluded that so carport is secondbest. It's not as big as the garage but at just over 8' wide still enough room to work. The carport is "L" shaped with 8' extending beyond the front of the garage as well so working at the drive end means plenty of room for half the car. I've had my Range Rovers under the carport and plenty of room to work on them. If I need access to both sides of the vehicle I've got wheel skates that allow me to move it sideways. Obviously something like a 2 ton Range Rover needs a little more than muscle power so a portapower ram between the skate and carport upright (scaffolding poles) allows it to me pushed with little effort. At least with a Marlin I will be able to move around far more easily.
      An electric patio heater works great keeping the chill off when working outside even during strong winds as they don't heat up the air. I've also got a LPG radiant and blow heaters plus 47kg bottle of gas ready for colder spells.

Comment

Originally posted by CompoSimmonite View Post
        Spent most of yesterday emptying the carport so I could get the Roadster underneath. No chance of doing that with the garage as it's full to the brim plus I prefer working outside / under carport. First job is to remove the wings and nose cone so I can get full access for the Sprite 1275 & gearbox transplant. No way is that going to happen today as completely knackered Paul H
        If you have not already thought of it, before you remove the inner wings mark where they fit to the engine bay side panels then cut the side panels so that you can remove the top half in the future - giving access to the engine bay without having to take the wings/inner wings off. It means you will have to think up a method of attaching them (remembering you will only be able to get a stubby screwdriver down there)

Comment

Already decided to make detachable side panels after the struggle for access removing the old 1800TC. I intend using Dzus fasteners to hold them in place that can be undone with a 1p coin

Comment

Working...
          X