Got dirty today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got dirty today

Now the Roadster is under the carport I don't have the excuse of bad weather to avoid going out to play. Today decided to remove the wings / running boards and took most of the day !
    Biggest problem was the dozens of 6mm set screws that had been used to hold everything together. Nearly 30 years of moisture had rusted the threads so most refused to be undone with 10mm spanner and No 3 Pozidrive screwdriver. It was then attack them with angle grinder and drill. The original builder didn't use any washers either side of the screw or nut so cutting with angle grinder had to be done very carefully then nut (plain not locking and no lock washer either) split with small cold chisel. In the past I've simply cut such small nuts with my large bolt croppers but as normal I lent them to somebody who never returned them and my smaller (Lidl) croppers aren't up to the job.
    Only managed to do one side of the car but already like the look so might consider cycle wings instead of the standard Marlin items.

Re: Got dirty today

The best builds were done in stainless!
    MOC member since 05/97
    1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
    1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
    Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Re: Got dirty today

When I came to strip my Berly for the restoration the stainless nuts and bolts were easy to remove but the plain steel ones were a real pain. Some were so difficult to get at either with a grinder or a hacksaw that I bought a small dremel grinder specially for the job. When I come to rebuild I will use stainless fixings where possible.

Comment

Working...
      X