Do you feel guilty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you feel guilty

Just a random thought for today (quiet day again)

When back in UK I have taken my Marlin to several smaller local classic car meetings and at first felt a bit of a fraud as whilst it looks more like a classic car than many classics it is still a kit car. Car guys being what they are accept all so no issues.

Then I thought as my Marlin has 1985 underpininings is it now technically a classic kit car (and some of you have older). So now have clear conscience.

Maybe there is opportunity for a Classic Kit Car Club (CKCC has a nice ring to it). I read classic car mags and the Caterhams, AC Cobra and Jag replicas seam to have reached that status and prices are soaring (not that we are in it for the money).

Maybe Marlins for sale need to be advertised in Classic Car - not Gumtree (no disrespect)

Alan

Re: Do you feel guilty

I have been to a couple of classic car shows this year. Everyone seems to have been very welcoming and interested. The general public were also keen to find out about the car and it's history. Of course I got used to saying "no, it is not a Morgan"! I agree that our cars are "classic kit cars". Mine is 26 years old this year and has been on the road for just about all of that time.
    Marlin Berlinetta 2.1 Efi

Comment

I too have attended a umber of classic car shows and received a warm welcome. Tatton Park was one such event.
      In the long term we as a club need to think about taking a club stand at more of these classic events as the strictly "kit events" are becoming few and far between. It may be an idea for members to nominate events that we thinks could be a good day out for next year.
      Starter for ten
      1 Temple Newsham - Leeds - August
      2 Pickering steam Rally - Pickering - north Yorks (attended this and ended up in the classic arena by mistake) three day event - July/Aug
      3 Harwood House - Nr Leeds - has a number of classic events
      4 A number of events in the Manchester area

Plenty more but lets establish this as a way forward to keep our cars "on the showground"
      YKC 1994 Roadster LWB 3.5 Rover V8

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Turpin View Post
        I too have attended a umber of classic car shows and received a warm welcome. Tatton Park was one such event.
        In the long term we as a club need to think about taking a club stand at more of these classic events as the strictly "kit events" are becoming few and far between. It may be an idea for members to nominate events that we thinks could be a good day out for next year.
        Starter for ten
        1 Temple Newsham - Leeds - August
        2 Pickering steam Rally - Pickering - north Yorks (attended this and ended up in the classic arena by mistake) three day event - July/Aug
        3 Harwood House - Nr Leeds - has a number of classic events
        4 A number of events in the Manchester area

Plenty more but lets establish this as a way forward to keep our cars "on the showground"
        A very good point, there are many regional shows where Classic cars congregate.
        The technology, time and effort are very similar to our own.

If you have any further details, why not add them to the forum calendar where others can see them in relation to other events that may be closer to home?
        It will also enable the Pitstop editor to keep up to date with changes and developments, rather than having to do the work himself.
        MOC member since 05/97
        1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
        1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
        Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
        The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

L used to fee a bit sheepish when I first took Ruby to shows but it is amazing how interested people are . Maybe its because , in Rubys case, it was built from a Marina which lets face it had a well deserved awful press. Now I am even brave enough to join the parade round the ring among the XKs ect. The mood is obviously changing as at a recent show no less than 7 Marlins were in attendance.

Comment

Thanks for that Steve, I will add as many venues as I can find ASAP
            YKC 1994 Roadster LWB 3.5 Rover V8

Comment

Working...
            X