Top coating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top coating

The day finally arrived when I could start spraying the top coat on the Marlin, I'm two coats in today and aiming for 5 or 6, I must admit the first coat really showed up the defects in the panels including the outlines of repairs and old drips I thought I'd well and truly rubbed down and away, I had bought myself a finishing coat spray gun, but I found that no matter what I did with it I could not get enough paint through it ( I think I need more practice ? ) so I reverted to my £15.00 gun, and found it much better, I applied a second coat, this time much heavier, but avoided any sags or run's etc. I still have a few areas that need attention, I've a few " Cats paw" reactions that need a talking too. But the biggest issue is the colour, I said I wanted it Red, but not dark red or even mid Red, but a Light Bright Red and from the Red spectrum graph on show I chose the Red I thought would suit ( I should have taken the wife with me ! ) anyhow, we're all agreed, it's ASBO Orange, but I like it !

Re: Top coating

It must be finished by now so what does it look like?
    Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 2.0L Pinto built in 1986

Comment

Re: Top coating

Originally posted by andyf View Post
      It must be finished by now so what does it look like?
      Hi Andy, nice to hear from someone, I thought I was writing on here for my own benefit, lol. It's a long way off mate, the fiberglass bodies on these old car's are not great, and I've been very unsatisfied with my efforts, as far as the body is concerned I repaired as much as I could within reason, I rubbed down everything, I coated it all in sealer ( due to reactions with my paint trials) I rubbed much of the sealer flat, then I gave it five coats of undercoat, rubbing down between every other, but due to working in the garage, I kept getting caught out by the poor light, I only have 4 x 2mtr florescent tubes in there and it's not good enough to see some of the paint faults, anyhow, I've now given the panels and main body 3 coats of Asbo Orange, let it harden, then gave it a dose of wet and dry, in fact I'll be flattening it all this weekend after work ! I'll then finish off the paint spraying from Sunday onwards. I cannot spray the lot in one batch as I'd like, due to lack of room, so it gets done as and when.

Comment

Working...
      X