Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The end (no never) of summer fettling

Hi
    Between numerous runs out I have been 'fettling' in many areas during the summer; along with obtaining a new MOT.

One of the improvements has been the installation of lowering blocks. (Thanks Dave) This has resulted in far more than an aesthetic improvement for the prop shaft is now far more in line with the differential and the ever-present 'grind' during the initial phase of de-acceleration has disappeared! Ever since I have had the car I thought this noise was due to a worn near side half-shaft but it was obviously a UJ joint at its limit of deflection.

It is now a completely different car to drive: quiet and seemingly faster!!!

My next fettling is to source the random low level resonance on the front near side....!!
    Brian

Learning more about:
    June '73 Marina based Mk2 Roadster
    1800 TC; 4 speed gearbox; 4.55:1 differential with 4.5pcd (the rare one!)

Another interest -www.somersetschoolsathletics.org.uk
    And another - 'Tractor Doctors' skittle team

Re: The end (no never) of summer fettling

Glad to hear that they worked. If you need wedge shaped spacers look on ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Land-Rover...#ht_2160wt_758

i am sure that they could be made to fit easily enough.

Dave

Comment

Hi All,

Just to reiterate, what a difference lowering blocks make!
      Since their installation I have travelled many quiet miles and seemingly much faster!
      Today we meandered along the Wylye Valley from Warminster ending in a late afternoon 'lock in' in a lovely country pub!!
      It was still (just) light when we got back to Warminster but my journey back home was in the dark - so exhilarating!
      Brian

Learning more about:
      June '73 Marina based Mk2 Roadster
      1800 TC; 4 speed gearbox; 4.55:1 differential with 4.5pcd (the rare one!)

Another interest -www.somersetschoolsathletics.org.uk
      And another - 'Tractor Doctors' skittle team

Comment

I am supposing as you have the van diff that you have the van springs fitted.
        Though I have no data, my guess is that your rear springs may be from the same source and therefore stiffer than the more common Saloon springs.
        How much difference in Axle angle this may cause is difficult to state as it will also be changed as the springs tire through age.

The landrover wedges will probably need drilling out to 1"
        MOC member since 05/97
        1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
        1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
        Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
        The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

I've got rid of the lowering blocks as I want a higher ride height. Today ordered a pair of the Land Rover wedges to correct the axle angle and will "report" back when they arrive / fitted No problem drilling out to 1" - got bigger (Morse 3) bits than that

Comment

Working...
          X