New grill and more panels fitted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New grill and more panels fitted

Well after taking it fairly easy due to my back, I had a crack at glossing the front room door and skirting to get me in the mood ! I then got myself into the garage and started polishing up a few more panels, I made a mess of the running board paint, I fitted the "paint cutting" attachment to my standard 3000 rpm grinder ( I was led to believe this would be ok ) and even with plenty of cutting compound on the sponge, it burnt an inch square area down to the primer almost as soon as I touched the paint, I also cut the paint back too much and could then see through it, not good, but good practice. I put this lot to one side and decided to wait till my new 6 speed grinder / polisher arrives. I did another panel by hand with quite good results.
    Later in the day my new grinder arrived and I opened the box like a big kid, mind you, I've always liked tools and machinery, so off I went on the door panels this time with far better results, however this really is a learning process and I was becoming increasingly frustrated by "micro scratches" no matter what I tried I could not get rid of them, then some hours later I remembered about being told to be really heavy with the cutting liquid, so I piled it onto the panel ( quite messy ) and tried again, the result was far better, it seems I was being far too frugal. It wasn't long before I was once again brought back down to earth, I decided to rub down the earlier running board and respray it, which I duly did, but I made a proper school boy error, in my haste I never emptied my compressor of air, and so, ended up spraying the running board with a mixture of cellulose and water, not good at all, in fact I'll have to rub down the entire board ( No water trap fitted as you may have guessed) I never gave up though, I went to Ellesmere Port Boat Museum for a few hours ( Very interesting place ) then once back home polished up the "Nose molding" fitted it with a new mesh grill, polished up the Marlin badge then fitted it to the car. I left the garage happier and wiser !

Re: New grill and more panels fitted

Any pictures? It would be nice to see the progress :-)
    Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 2.0L Pinto built in 1986

Comment

Originally posted by andyf View Post
      Any pictures? It would be nice to see the progress :-)
      Evening Andy, yeah, I've taken lots of photo's, I'll see if I can get a few sorted on here, are you on F Book ? if so, I also post on the kit car forum along with quite a number of other folks.

Comment

Hi Harry. If you are passing through Chester, you're welcome to call in for a chat and kick tyres. I live in Hoole, 1 minute from the A55/M53.
        pm me for contact details.
        Gareth.

Comment

Originally posted by Harry View Post
          Evening Andy, yeah, I've taken lots of photo's, I'll see if I can get a few sorted on here, are you on F Book ? if so, I also post on the kit car forum along with quite a number of other folks.
          I'm on FB I found the kit car forum/page but I can only see one Marlin on there...

Comment

Originally posted by andyf View Post
            I'm on FB I found the kit car forum/page but I can only see one Marlin on there...
            Morning Andy, I think there are about 70 members now and there are a number of makes of kit cars on the site, including mine, however the cars are mostly Robin Hood, Super seven's and Tiger's. They are a good group of lads. The recent Marlin on there will be mine if it's the photo of the front end fitted with a new mesh grill. I have posted quite a few pics on the site. I rubbed down and fitted the drivers side rear arch yesterday and also started fitting a bit of trim etc as a diversion from rubbing down as it really makes my back ache especially bending over to bold these panels in place, but it's starting to look like a marlin again now.

Comment

Originally posted by Harry View Post
              Morning Andy, I think there are about 70 members now and there are a number of makes of kit cars on the site, including mine, however the cars are mostly Robin Hood, Super seven's and Tiger's. They are a good group of lads. The recent Marlin on there will be mine if it's the photo of the front end fitted with a new mesh grill. I have posted quite a few pics on the site. I rubbed down and fitted the drivers side rear arch yesterday and also started fitting a bit of trim etc as a diversion from rubbing down as it really makes my back ache especially bending over to bold these panels in place, but it's starting to look like a marlin again now.
              I'm not sure that I've found the right site then! can you post a link?

Comment

sounds like madabout? The Marlin Enthusiasts Facebook page is not very well used as far as I can see. I can actually link members own Facebook pages to their MOC profiles if there is sufficient demand

Comment

I cant even find the FB page
                  Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Originally posted by cameronfurnival View Post
                    sounds like madabout? The Marlin Enthusiasts Facebook page is not very well used as far as I can see. I can actually link members own Facebook pages to their MOC profiles if there is sufficient demand
                    Hello Cameron, I never knew about a Marlin Enthusiasts page on Facebook, I might take a look, the kit car enthusiasts page I'm a member of has only been running about 12 months and has about 70 members with a variety of kit cars, but as I said mostly Robin Hoods etc.

Comment

Working...
                    X