Snake pass in the Peak District

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snake pass in the Peak District

I took my daughter down to Sheffield on Sunday as she has just started at University there. Being in Cumbria, we had a choice of two routes either down the M6 and then across the Peak District or along the A66 and then down the A1 and M1. I opted for the M6 on the way there and I'm pleased I did, as I've discovered a route I definitely want to do in the Marlin. The views across Snake Pass were amazing.....not that you can take your eyes off the road for a second.

"The Snake Pass links Manchester to Sheffield and it gets its name from the high section of the A57 road where it crosses the Peak District, and passes through the National Trust's High Peak Estate The road includes challenging beds and adverse cambers, and can easily catch you out in places. This route has a poor accident rate and is policed accordingly. The scenery is impressive, with lots of places to stop off and chill out while you take in the views."

bammoor_12.jpg

IoM-TT-snakes-path.jpg

Re: Snake pass in the Peak District

Your spot on. Its well known to motorbikers - I have ridden it a few times and I suspect it will be similar fun in the Marlin (just watch the bikers!!!)

Comment

Can be interesting in the winter. The road is shut in bad weather.

Comment

Lovely road. Whilst you're up that way, take in the Hartside Pass and also the Kirkstone Pass and a coffee at Devil's Bridge.
        Then try and wipe the smile off your face!!!
        Have Fun!
        Gareth.

Comment

Other roads good for a blast are Devil's Bridge to Rhayeder mountain road and A87 Glengarry to Kyle of Lochalsh

Comment

I can only recommend the M25 once you have queued for the crossing its bumper to bumper for another 15 miles Oh and the toll goes up to £2.50 soon when they remove the barriers and you have to pay online or phone.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by b_caswell; 26-09-14, 11:51 AM.
            Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

If we're talking good roads then the butter tubs pass between Muker and Hawes has to be on the list. Top gear have been known to us it more than once. You can even get Wensleydale cheese direct from the factory in Hawes.

Comment

Working...
              X