Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Drivers wanted for East to West relay event the weekend of May 29th, 30th and 31st

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drivers wanted for East to West relay event the weekend of May 29th, 30th and 31st

Is it really 3 years since we ran LEJOG. It was muted at the time that we should do an East to West version (Lowestoft to St. Davids) but nothing was done. With the need to keep kit car, and specifically Marlin, awareness alive and following Derek's call for a 'southern' event, I would ask the committee for it's backing to carry arrange such a relay. The route would be something like:

Cumulative. miles
    * changeover
    Lowestoft * - A 0 0
    Diss 34.4 34.4
    Thetford * - B 50.7 16.3
    Newmarket 70.6 19.9
    St. Neots * - C 103 32.4
    Bedford 117 14.0
    Milton Keynes 134 17.0
    Buckingham * - D 147 13.0
    Banbury 165 18.0
    Chipping Camden * - E 189.6 24.6
    Worcester 214.9 25.3
    Hereford 241.8 26.9
    Brecon * - F 279.0 37.2
    Carmarthen * - G 329.0 50
    Haverfordwest 360.0 31
    St. Davids 376.0 16
    This time it would not be a 'through the night' affair and I would endeavor to get free overnight accommodation at either end for 6 drivers (3 rooms! Once again, the baton would be some produce from the Lowestoft area (probably smokies but it depends what I can scrounge) and like before I will endeavor to get a local dignitary at the to send off/receive the 'baton'

Once again we will be attempting to raise money for a charity and this time I would like to propose Parkinson's Disease Research. Like the last relay I would be calling for drivers and it will not go ahead unless I can get at least 2 drivers for each leg.
    I would try to get sponsorship but this time I think we should have a 30min bucket collection at each changeover and perhaps drivers who are not particularly involved in the relay itself would be there at the changeovers to make as much fuss as possible to get donations.

I have not set a date yet but I suspect it would be one of the half term weekends.

Not quite as bad as the LEJOG but it will be the last leg which will cause problem in that it will be the longest to do and the longest to get home from.

So, can I have the committee's blessing to get on with the project and can I call for drivers who would be prepared to drive one of the legs

Re: An open letter to the committee re an east - west relay

The committee is more than happy for ANY members to organise an event. We wish you luck with it and hope that members support it.

Comment

OK - we are off . The intended weekend is the 29th, 30th, 31st May 2015. If you are able to cover a leg (or more) could you let me know. Just out of interest the last event was referred to as LEJOG - we need something for this event. Lowestoft to St Davids becomes LSD which I am not too happy about - any thoughts?
      Last edited by keith_h; 14-12-14, 12:32 PM.

Comment

Sounds like a great idea but I need to get my car back on the road before I can commit to participating. My speedo should be back between Christmas and the New Year with any luck
        Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 2.0L Pinto built in 1986

Comment

How about LOST sorry, only kidding!
          Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 2.0L Pinto built in 1986

Comment

Keith, how do you want members to register their interest?
            I hope to be available: anywhere between Newmarket and MK, but I guess this will be an easy section to find volunteers?

What's the baton? = A wet fish?

Mike

Comment

HI Keith - we would be willing to take part (we're in Hereford).

Regards.

Rob & Terresa

Comment

Thanks Rob & Terresa ( would you be willing to be one of the team that does the last leg (or legs). I am attempting to get sponsored accommodation for the Saturday night otherwise it will be a very late finish to have to turn around and come home

Comment

Drivers wanted for East to West relay event the weekend of May 29th, 30th and 31st

We are planning a relay event from Lowestoft (furthest point east) to St. Davids (furthest point west in Wales) to raise money for Parkinson's Disease research and we need teams of drivers who are prepared to take the 'baton' on one (or more) of the legs. The route is not yet fixed as it depends on who volunteers but the current proposal is :

Cumulative. miles
                  * changeover
                  Lowestoft * - A 0 0
                  Diss 34.4 34.4
                  Thetford * - B 50.7 16.3
                  Newmarket 70.6 19.9
                  St. Neots * - C 103 32.4
                  Bedford 117 14.0
                  Milton Keynes 134 17.0
                  Buckingham * - D 147 13.0
                  Banbury 165 18.0
                  Chipping Camden * - E 189.6 24.6
                  Worcester 214.9 25.3
                  Hereford 241.8 26.9
                  Brecon * - F 279.0 37.2
                  Carmarthen * - G 329.0 50
                  Haverfordwest 360.0 31
                  St. Davids 376.0 16

If you would like to get involved please email [email protected] and include which leg (or legs) you can cover

Comment

east - west relay

Hi Mike and thanks. (My first reply to you seems to have disappeared into the ether). All I said was that I need drivers to email me with the leg (or legs) they would be willing to cover. When I have a list of folk who want to get involved I should be able to allocate who does what.
                    Last edited by cameronfurnival; 17-12-14, 09:05 AM.

Comment

Re: east - west relay

Just a thought Guys[and Gals] but with the proposal of a 'collection' via a bucket at the changeover points, due you require licences/permits whatever to collect monies from the general public? Wouldn't want to see any of you taking part to get arrested!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

A street collection permit is required if you wish to collect money or sell anything for the benefit of a charity. This applies across England and Wales. You must apply for the permit through the relevant local council; you will be able to find forms on their websites. this shouldn't preclude any collection taking place but as Alison says, you wouldn't want to fall foul of the law especially whilst doing something so worthwhile.
                        Maybe a call through pitstop (and on here of course) for sponsors might be a good idea? 2.5p per mile is a tenner give or take.
                        Last edited by cameronfurnival; 17-12-14, 03:52 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the tip-off Alison and Cameron. I am going to try and rope in the Parkinson's Disease UK support organisation to put some effort into the fund raising side of this venture - perhaps they will already have the appropriate permits. Never-the-less I will contact our local authority to see what's what.

Comment

Hi Keith,
                            I would like to take part. After my recent "bucket list" trip I have developed a long distance hormone! I would probably drive to the start and might want to drive the whole way! I used to work at Brawdy just a few miles from St Davids. I'll keep in touch about my availability (and permission from SWMBO).

I would also be happy to meet at Worcester and drive to St Davids from there if I cannot get all the way to Lowestoft.
                            Last edited by Dane_Rescueman; 19-12-14, 08:13 PM. Reason: Added info
                            Marlin Berlinetta 2.1 Efi

Comment

For Lejog, a Marlin Owners Club page was set up ay Justgiving.com an easy way to centralise the collection of donations by people who will not be directly involved in the trip. It seemed to work as over £2000 was raised through it.
                              MOC member since 05/97
                              1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
                              1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
                              Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
                              The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Working...
                              X