Boot Rack Design

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boot Rack Design

I'm about to embark on my next project - build a boot rack. If you already have one fitted; any chance of a photo to assist my design effort. I've already designed the bumper clamps but would appreciate any advice on the best way to secure the rack: either bolt to the spare wheel or bolt to the fibre glass body above the spare wheel. Any thought's would be appreciated

Re: Boot Rack Design

I got a regular stainless rack from Europa and by bending/shortening (the extended) posts made it sit level just above the spare. It is secured using the supplied clamps (that would normally attached under the lip of a boot) to the spare wheel mount through the spare wheel.

This is achieved by taking a sledge hammer to the wheel bracket to bend over the corners to allow rack something to grip on to!

Not the most sophisticaed method but it's very secure and you can't see the mountings.

Comment

Thanks Chris, when you have a load on the rack does the load sit on the spare tyre or on the racks'mounting feet?

Cheers

Comment

I've positioned the rack so it's fastened down against the tyre, but the load is still on mounting feet.

Comment

Message originally posted by: T Miller
          My roadster's luggage rack is rather a different approach, as the spare tire is mounted on the near-side front wing. Thus, as standard low profile luggage rack works very well on the flat back. It may be a serious undertaking to change your layout to something like this, but it might worth a glance.

Regards,
          Ty

Comment

Working...
          X