C2C - The Great Smokie Run

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• C2C - The Great Smokie Run

On 30th May 2015 we are running a relay from Lowestoft in Suffolk, the furthest point east in England, to St. David, the furthest point west in Wales. Under the event name of C2C (thanks to Geoff Grumble for coming up with that – you can take it as Coast to Coast or North Sea to Irish Sea), 7 teams of at least 3 drivers per team will carry a ‘baton’ in legs of approx. 50 miles. Now that the Xmas break is over we have to set to and get on with the organisation as quickly as possible but there is no point until we have the teams in place. One of the opportunities to take advantage of a situation will be lost in 10 days so if you can commit to taking part please let me know as soon as possible. Just let me know which leg you want to cover and let me have an email or phone number so that I can send details as they evolve

cumulative
    miles miles

A Lowestoft – Thetford via Diss 50 50
    B Thetford – St. Neots via Newmarket 51 101
    C St. Neots - Buckingham 42 143
    D Buckingham – Chipping Camden 43 180
    E Chipping Camden - Hereford 51 231
    F Hereford – Llandovery 60 295
    G Llandovery – St. Davids via Haverfordwest 66 361

We will be issuing literature based on the following Flyer.

If anyone wants some specific paperwork please let me know.

Until I can work out how to increase the size of a graphic so it is readable this is what the main body of the flyer says.

This year, on Saturday the 30th May 2015 teams of members of the Marlin Owners car Club will run a relay from Lowestoft in Suffolk to St. Davids in Wales. The ‘baton’, a local Lowestoft delicacy, will be presented by {*********} to the first team, and ultimately handed over to {*********} at St. Davids.

The event is taking place to have fun, to raise awareness of the Marlin genre of cars and to raise money for the Parkinson’s UK research fund. It is estimated that some 120,000 folk in the UK are afflicted with this insidious condition and as of today, there is no known cure. As more and more brain cells are destroyed, people with the condition are slowly robbed of the ability to create the signals that control muscles – speech, hearing, digestion, balance, and general mobility. Only 30% of people with the condition exhibit tremors or shaking – the popular idea of what Parkinson’s is about but it is the overriding and ever increasing stiffness that the condition brings with it that is so distressing. It is bad enough to get the condition as an older person but it is particularly distressing to get it in your 20’s or 30’s knowing that you face a lifetime of slowly diminishing mobility. Ultimately, there is every chance that you will lose your driving license. Imagine not being able to drive your Marlin any more

Whether you can get involved in driving a leg of the relay or simply turn up at a changeover point to give encouragement – keep the date free in your diary
    [IMG]file://localhost/Users/Keith/Library/Caches/TemporaryItems/msoclip/0/clip_image002.png[/IMG]
    So how about it - surely we can get 20 to 30 members involved
    Last edited by keith_h; 07-01-15, 12:58 PM.

Re: C2C - The Great Smokie Run

Keith
    Happy to volunteer - PM sent.
    Mike
    Last edited by Mike; 06-01-15, 09:41 PM.

Comment

Hi Keith
      I would like to volunteer, Hereford to Llandovery or Llandovery to St Davids would suit me best
      Regards
      Dave

Comment

Thanks David, I was worried about getting folk to cover the last 2 legs. Do you know of any members that would be prepared to join you. I have to have at least 3 drivers per leg and we are well short of that so far.

Comment

Hi Keith.
          As I will have a mate with me I could do both Hereford to Llandovery & Llandovery to St Davids hope this helps.
          Regards
          Dave

Comment

Hi Dave,

It helps tremendously but I still need at least 3 cars per leg to cope with the possibility of breakdown or accident. We have to be mentally prepared to leave someone behind along the way if they have a problem (that's not in our normal MOC ethos but in these circumstances it has to be that way.

Keith

Comment

Hi Keith,
              I'm happy to drive at least Hereford to St David's. I could do just the Llandovery leg but because I'm driving up from Newquay I might as well carry on to Hereford as it is, sort of, on my way!!
              Marlin Berlinetta 2.1 Efi

Comment

Hi Dane I have volunteered to do the same Hereford to St Davids. Would be great to talk to you in person about your trip to the Shetland Car Show. I am considering going there in 2016.
                Regards

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by davidclutterbuck View Post
                  Hi Dane I have volunteered to do the same Hereford to St Davids. Would be great to talk to you in person about your trip to the Shetland Car Show. I am considering going there in 2016.
                  Regards

Dave
                  Thanks Dane & Dave - I thought that was going to be the hardest part to fill but you have taken a weight off my mind. Just need one more for that leg and that bit is sorted

Keith

Comment

HI Keith,

We are happy to help out with the Hereford - St. Davids - whatever suits you. Sorry thought we had emailed you previously - but can't trace it - so possibly didn't send. I think you already have my email address.

Happy New Year

Rob

Comment

Just responded to the email and offered to help out at the Buckingham handover as I'm in High Wycombe. If I manage to buy a Marlin before then I would do one or both legs either side.

David.
                      - 9th owner of T693 SSC possibly a factory built Ford based V8 Sportster
                      - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
                      - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
                      - 8th owner of Roadster chassis number 2395. Now owned by Barry!
                      - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Comment

Hi Rob & Terresa, that's brilliant. That means we now have the minimum 3 cars for the stretch from Hereford to St. Davids. ( P.S.You had contacted me before, via the forum but you hadn't specified the legs)

Keith

Comment

Hi Keith.

Happy Dave, John and myself (two cars 1x Berli + 1x Hunter) will be able to do the Hereford to St. Davids section, so you will now have 5 cars for that leg! Peter.

Comment

You are a star.. Can you let me have full names, email addresses and mobile no's please

Comment

Re: C2C - The Great Smokie Run - changeover times

I thought this might help folks to decide that they might possibly be able to do a leg

Leg Arrival Xfer time Leave miles Leg duration
                              time time hr/mins
                              A Lowestoft 7-30am for 30 mins 8-00am start 50 1h/15
                              photos etc
                              B Thetford 9-15 am 10 mins 9-25am 51 1h/17
                              C St. Neots 10-32am 10 mins 10-42am 42 1h/03
                              D Buckingham 11-45am 10 mins 11-55am 43 1h/05
                              E Chipping Camden 01-00pm 10 mins 01-10pm 51 1h/17
                              F Hereford 02-27pm 10 mins 02-37pm 60 1h/30
                              G Llandovery 04-07pm 10 mins 04-17pm 66 1h/39
                              H St Davids 05-56pm 40=1.5mins/mile
                              50=1.2mins/mile
                              60=1min/mile

Cameron - how do you alter a table once it is on here? How do you import from Excel. I can't get the spaciing right. I have sent you the excel sheet and hope you can get it to look right
                              Last edited by keith_h; 18-01-15, 03:30 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X