steering rack replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• steering rack replacement

My marina front suspension B series engined roadster needs a new steering rack. I have looked at the original build manual that I received with the car; not much help. Can anybody advise me how to go about the job. Looks like I may have to remove some bodywork!
    thanks.

Re: steering rack replacement

Roger
    You'll need to remove bonnet,headlamps with bar,then the fibreglass nose .This is usually held by 10off 6mm setscrews,3 each side that holds the front of the inner wing to the nose assy and 2 each side holding the front end of the engine side panel to the nose assy,these also secure the radiator support brackets.Having removed all these you should be able to lift the front of the nose assy and slide it forward giving access to remove radiator,followed by steering rack.Apparently there are differences in the saddle mountings and their rubbers on early and late model cars so try to ensure you get corrct rack to save further hassle.Reassembly can be a bit tricky in getting all back without damage to paint,an extra pair of hands helps!If I can help further I can be reached on 01332 753000

Comment

Alan
      thanks very much for the advice. It all came apart just as you described. I can see what you mean about lining up the side panels, radiator fixing and nose when reassembling.
      Just to further complicate matters I already have a good ital van steering rack (same as later marina)The u clamp fixings are wider apart and the original manual says extend all holes equally. This will leave the top holes close to the top of the mounting bracket. Is this a problem?
      Also one of the cast aluminium mounts from the later rack is broken. has anybody got one for sale. If yes please let me know.
      thanks

Comment

Roger,
        Glad all went well,unfortunately I don't have any steering rack mounts but The local scrap dealer had a marina in the yard a week ago. If i get a chance will check to see if rack is in place and if it has the correct mounts and post reply.If youre able to post an image I can be doubly sure of which you need

Comment

ALAN
          thanks very much
          I have attached a picure of the rack mounting.

Comment

Roger
            Regret to say that the marina I mentioned is no longer in the local scrapyard,I presume that since my last visit it has been crushed,will keep a lookout if nothing materialises your end

Comment

Alan thanks for your help. In the end it was easier to fit a re-con Mk1 rack. I hope you got my terlephone message.

Comment

Message originally posted by: Brian Gadd [club treasurer.]
                Hi Roger I advertised a load of spares in the latest issue of Pitstop, amongst them is a steering rack for a Roadster , claimed to be new . It is available if required. Contact me on 01453 542135.

Comment

Working...
                X