Fitting a removeable steering wheel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fitting a removeable steering wheel

My YKC Roadster is based on Sierra GLS running gear and as I find agility is inversely proportional to age I though I would treat myself to a woodrim/leather removable steering wheel in the hope that it would make life a little easier getting in and out. I used the column from the GLS exactly as is and have all the multifunction switching on the column as is. Can anyone recommend a supplier. Is there a system that would allow me to keep the centre horn button and if so, how does it work? (sliprings?)

Re: Fitting a removeable steering wheel

I would be careful. I can't remember where I saw it, but there has been at least one incident where the steering wheel has come off in the drivers hands totalling the car. The first thing I would check is that the mechanism for locking the wheel to the column is well engineered and is unlikely to be released by accident. I'd also post a question on the Southern Kit Car forum as I'm pretty sure that was where I came across it.
    Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 2.0L Pinto built in 1986

Comment

Removable steering wheels are common in motorsport. It is usually a two part kit. A male part is welded to the column and a female boss, which includes the latch, bolts to the wheel. Just google quick release steering wheel. Not sure about the horn though, apart from a wire that you would have to connect each time.

Comment

Thanks for that Andy - I guess a compromise is to simply settle for a smaller diameter wheel (I'm using the Sierra wheel at the moment) but I am guessing that will make parking and tight maneuvering so much more difficult

Comment

How about a D shaped wheel with the flat at the bottom? Good compromise.

- 9th owner of T693 SSC possibly a factory built Ford based V8 Sportster
          - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
          - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
          - 8th owner of Roadster chassis number 2395. Now owned by Barry!
          - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Comment

I have a small diameter wheel and it's just as light as the Focus with power steering, but then I'm still using the original 185 profile tyres!

Comment

Originally posted by david View Post
              How about a D shaped wheel with the flat at the bottom? Good compromise.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/32160...f14=108&ff19=0
              That looks like a nice wheel

Comment

which sierra wheel Keith? There are some which are a bit smaller - like off the cossies? (three spoke)

Comment

Hi Keith, With the Sierra steering column you would still be using an adaptor with the two contact horn rings. So you would have a centre of steering wheel push horn. I have one fitted to one of my cars. Take a look at the release mechanisim and make your own mind up. I have no problem or doubts about using removable steering wheels. The bolts are high tensile and the length of projection/location is approx 18mm and tapered to boot.

Comment

登录 Facebook,与好友、家人和认识的人分享和建立联系。
                    Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

perhaps not located properly, been used on the track since the year blog. Who knows.

Comment

You might find this informative
                        Last edited by andyf; 16-02-15, 10:58 PM.

Comment

And this was the crash!

Comment

Keith

Another option to consider would be to add an electric power steering unit to the Sierra column to allow you to use a smaller diameter wheel.
                            It has been done in a Cabrio - don't know if you have the space in a Roadster?

I have a Sierra column and Corsa electric motor you could come and have an experiment with when you are over this way if you would like?

Lee Hunter developed the idea for his Cabrio, and helped a couple of other members to convert their Sierra columns too, so it is not a daunting job.

Mike
                            Last edited by Mike; 17-02-15, 09:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by cameronfurnival View Post
                              which sierra wheel Keith? There are some which are a bit smaller - like off the cossies? (three spoke)
                              Hi Cameron, it is a 15" dia. 3 spoke (see photo). Are you saying that I might be able to get a straight swap from a Sierra Cosworth that will fit?

Comment

Working...
                              X