X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Triumph gearbox

Message originally posted by: Bryan Newell
    Hello you knowledgeable lot!
    I'm looking to replace the gearbox on my mk2 Vitesse based roadster,before I start searching the ads etc are there other compatable box's out there that would slot straight in?
    And are there any out there for sale reasonably local To Taunton?
    Any help appreciated.

Re: Triumph gearbox

Message originally posted by: Julian
    I have a Mk2 Vit box going cheap, It came with my roadster after the previous owner upgraded to an overdrive box, I know nothing of its history but apparantly worked fine. The original vitesse OD boxes are generally ok but the overdrives are weak (Dtype) the easiest albeit now getting rare is to get an overdrive box from an early 1850 dolomite this is the same three rail gearbox as the vitesse but with the far stronger Jtype overdrive unit behind it. The triumph saloon range (2000 and 2500) had their engines installed on a slant, here you could run into problems with bell housings and engine backplates. If you want to stick to a triumph box then Canley Classics are gods.

Comment

Julian,

Wouldn't it be possible to swap the backplates/bellhousing over ?.

I thought it was the dolly engine that was canted, I don't remember my 2500 being canted (could be wrong on this - might be a "senior moment", was a while ago). The 2000 / 2500 also had A or J type O/D's.

The 1500 O/D dolly was a single rail with J O/D (same as Spitfire 1500), this is what I have in my Hybrid. Could this type be used with a change of bellhousing.

I would definately agree about Canley Classics - use them all the time myself. Might be worth having a word with them, they will know for sure what box will fit on a MK2 Vitesse engine.

Comment

Hi Brian
        Julian is quite right. The Dolly 1850 pre 1974 has the same gearbox plus O/D, but this is a big conversion job as you have to relocate the gearbox mounts, and shorten the prop shaft. You will undoubtedly like the conversion as it makes cruising so much more relaxed, but is it worth the effort?
        The 2000 and 2500 had totally different gearboxes.
        Stick with Julians standard replacement.

If you have a Triumph rear axle, I have a 3.27 diff which would reduce your revs at cruising speed . This should be a direct swap for the standard Vitesse unit which is a 3.63.
        If interested give me a call on 07921 759 659
        Regards
        Mike

Comment

Message originally posted by: Bryan Newell
          Hello chaps
          Just to make clear,I'm only looking for standard gearbox not overdrive!
          Julian you may well have what I'm after,could you post your details so I can get in touch, or give me a ring please on 07787 337562 or email bryannewell715(at)msn.com

Comment

Hi Bryan
            Unless you want to do a major rebuild, stick to the normal 3 rail box. It is possible to use a saloon box but it has a integral bellhousing and clutch release.You have to fiddle about with the spiggot bearing.Whats wrong with your one? its possible to rebuild.Also the GT6 and Bond 2ltr use this box.Take the top off any box you look at and make sure the synchro rings sit off the bulk rings for 2 and 3rd gears.
            Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Hi Ben
              Thanks for the advice!
              Have purchased the box above from Julian and intend to have a go at making one good one out of two!!
              Mine whines like a good "un" in second and third!
              Thanks to all who took the trouble to reply.
              Regards
              Bryan

Comment

Bryan, Most of them suffer from this, its not that difficult to rebuild this box BUT theres always a but, until you strip the box down and check,where the needle rollers run direct in the back of the input shaft onto the nose of the main shaft and also in both ends of the lay gear. Any damage to the bearing surfaces here is a problem thats expensive to replace or repair.I recommend you use new bearings and synchro rings and definately a new circlip in the third gear hub.OH and dont use any additives in the oil till its run in. Best of luck .
                Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Working...
                X