This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting sorted out...

So I have the car starting reliably hot or cold now.

Had to bin the air filters as they were black. Replaced the points and condenser with a Powerspark module, new coil, the leads and plugs were fine (latter needed a clean and gap check).

Had to loosen off the distributor to get the timing correct without maxing it out on the vacuum advance, obviously been ages since that was done.

Balanced the carbs at idle using the rubber tube in the inlet method and noticed while I was doing that that the carbs are the emission control variety, which means I can't adjust the mixture. I'm sure it needs adjusting as pushing each dashpot up a fraction causes the engine to falter which from memory means the mixture is too weak. Although that's counter to my experiences starting the car as it starts better without the choke pulled out.... maybe I need to review the needles in use.

Also took the radio out as it was bodged in with gaffer tape, which also meant removing the external aerial and finding a rubber blanking grommet to fill the hole.

Finally, a new switch and indicator light for the fog lamp, the previous one haven shorted out (it was an audio style switch).

All good fun.
    Last edited by David; 15-03-15, 09:39 AM.
    - 9th owner of T693 SSC possibly a factory built Ford based V8 Sportster
    - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
    - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
    - 8th owner of Roadster chassis number 2395. Now owned by Barry!
    - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Re: Starting sorted out...

strombergs or SU David?

Comment

Stromberg, 150's. They have the flat anti-tamper cover over the mixture control at base of the assembly, the front carb appears to be leaking, dashpot oil I think judging by colour and smell.

They seem to have been on the car since it was built. if you look closely on this old photo you can see the red sticker(s) on the top edge.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by David; 15-03-15, 09:46 AM.
      - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
      - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
      - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Comment

some useful info here http://zenithcarb.co.uk/zencdcdsseries/?___store=zenith Strombergs often get splits in the rubber diaphragm. My only experience on a strom was with a vauxhall chevette so only a single. Im sure others will be here in a minute to help out

Comment

Your Strombergs are CDSE's and you need a tool that goes in the dash pot one part holds the piston still while an allen key adjusts the needle. Dont try and do it with just an allen key as you will split the diaphram if they arnt split already.
          Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Thanks guys. There were two spare diaphragms with the car so I'll see if eBay can conjure up the correct tool.
            Last edited by David; 15-03-15, 04:05 PM.

Comment

They say you lern something new every day, It seems there are two different types so you need to soak up the oil or tip it out of the dash pot and have a look to see if its a allen key type or a blade type. My money is on the allen key B20379 type!

Last edited by b_caswell; 15-03-15, 06:00 PM.
              Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

I've got a Stromberg adjustment tool somewhere. Will check which type it is but it was for my 940cc Sunbeam (written off in 1989 !) and will never be used again so if suitable you are welcome to it.
                Last edited by CompoSimmonite; 15-03-15, 07:12 PM.

Comment

Just checked. My tool is the blade type, rather than Allen key, exactly the same as this -

You are more than welcome to it if your need this type.
                  I used it on a 1978 Chrysler Sunbeam so the carb type might be a later version than yours. You can check with a very small screwdriver down the dashpot. If Allen key then it'll go into the hex hole whereas the other type, as per my tool, has a raised blade like the end of a flat screwdriver.
                  Last edited by CompoSimmonite; 16-03-15, 06:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CompoSimmonite View Post
                    Just checked. My tool is the blade type, rather than Allen key, exactly the same as this -

You are more than welcome to it if your need this type.
                    I used it on a 1978 Chrysler Sunbeam so the carb type might be a later version than yours. You can check with a very small screwdriver down the dashpot. If Allen key then it'll go into the hex hole whereas the other type, as per my tool, has a raised blade like the end of a flat screwdriver.
                    Thanks, I'll have a look.

Comment

Looks like my carbs need the Allen key type adjuster, so thanks for the kind offer but looks like I'll be on eBay again soon!

Comment

Ordered a gasket set and adjustment tool, so closing this thread...

Comment

Working...
                        X