Wanted Marina Indicator/Ignition Switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wanted Marina Indicator/Ignition Switch

My roadster ignition switch has failed, igniton light comes on, but second turn of key no longer turns starter motor.
    Does anyone know if new switches are still avaiable ?

Peter Jackson

Re: Wanted Marina Indicator/Ignition Switch

Are you sure its the switch? just as likely to be the starter solenoid not making contact. Can you hear a click when you turn the key? I assume as its Marina based it still uses the ignition key on the steering lock.
    Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

If it's definitely the switch that is faulty (check the fuses & wiring as well) you could fit a classic Mini unit - IIRC those from the mid 80's are virtually identical and should be available from Mini Spares and the other usual suspects.
      When my switch failed I used a Metro item - sourced from a scrapper & still fitted to the car with security bolts intact (i.e. never torqued up correctly)..! However the bolt PCD & angle is a little different to the Marina.
      Marlin Roadster, LWB...1860 B Series + Ford Type 9
      Renault Espace 54mm front calipers, vented discs, cycle wings and adjustable tie-bars.

Comment

Make sure that your battery terminals are nice and clean, also that the wires are secure in the battery terminals. The screw clamp type are not very good as I found to my cost! Best use the ones that you solder on but first make sure if you plan to solder an existing screw type that they are made of brass. Some of the cheapo aftermarket ones look like tinned brass but are just a look alike alloy and they will just melt as soon as you put a flame* near them! Also check the earth wire has a good contact with the chassis. Peter.

IMPORTANT ! - If you do use a flame to solder the terminals on to the battery cables TAKE THE BATTERY OUT FIRST and put it well out of the way. Batteries give off Hydrogen which is VERY VERY explosive! I speak from bitter experience! PL.

Comment

Thanks guys, no click on turning key and I'm pretty sure I checked fuses, but obviouslly more trouble shooting needed.

Comment

Originally posted by peterj7 View Post
            Thanks guys, no click on turning key and I'm pretty sure I checked fuses, but obviouslly more trouble shooting needed.
            Put a test lamp or voltmeter between the small feed wire to the solenoid and earth. If bulb lights /you get a reading then the solenoid is sus. If no reading then the switch (or wiring to / from it). Peter.

Comment

Working...
            X