And finally the rain stopped

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And finally the rain stopped

Oh yes, the rain has stopped, I've been up to my elbows in twin SU carbs the last few rainy days helped along by a few Badgers Beers, The set I received from Ebay a few weeks back were not as described ( Low mileage twin SUs ) As soon as I noticed the usual damaged screw heads etc I thought here we go eh, but the Spindle's and bushes were not bad, as opposed to worn out on the other 4 SU carbs I have, I had an overhaul kit in the garage for the last twelve months but could not bring myself to use it on carbs with worn spindle bushes, I bought a set of spindles from my local MG center last week, I had my "Tenner" in hand to pay for them but £30.00 later I came over all giddy ! still, once they were fitted into the latest set of Carbs, I could detect very little movement, I then fitted the service kits and after a few hours of tinkering I had the carbs fitted and running, just a bit of tuning to do but the test run was put off due to the weather. Today, the rain had stopped so I took the Marlin for a short run of about 15 mile and all was well but for the engine running too fast on tick over, once home I adjusted the tick over and took the car out for another blast, I went as far as Whitchurch this time, my sister as passenger ( She loved it ) once again I got back on the drive and a mate of mine popped round in his Robin, he told me the N West club had organized a bit of a meeting at the Pondarosa at the Horseshoe pass, so off we went in the Marlin, but unfortunately only one car remained, a Yellow Tiger, so we carried on down to Llangollan, then over to worlds End and over the moor to Minera and home for the third time today and about a 100 mile covered, the carbs still need a little looking at, they are running a bit rich. all in all a good Marlin day.

Re: And finally the rain stopped

If you're up that way again tomorrow Harry, look out for me as I was planning similar trip tomorrow, weather permitting!
    Gareth.

Comment

Dont forget - the website has a "hood up or down" weather predictor on the home page - 100% accurate of course

Coedpoeth isnt a million miles from me (30 mins?)

Comment

Any one fancy meeting up at the Ponderosa one sunny day for a brew?
        I should be able to make most days, but don't know how anybody else is fixed...
        Gareth.

Comment

Originally posted by cameronfurnival View Post
          Dont forget - the website has a "hood up or down" weather predictor on the home page - 100% accurate of course

Coedpoeth isnt a million miles from me (30 mins?)
          Was going to ask where it was centred. It never seemed to match my weather. Sitting on a sun longer in the rain is not fun.
          MOC member since 05/97
          1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
          1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
          Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
          The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Originally posted by Gareth View Post
            Any one fancy meeting up at the Ponderosa one sunny day for a brew?
            I should be able to make most days, but don't know how anybody else is fixed...
            Gareth.
            Hi Gareth
            Sounds good, I am about an hour away from the top of Horseshoe Pass. I am away next week planning to take mine out for first run on Sunday 12th
            Regards
            Dave

Comment

Sunday sounds good to me.
              Lets see what the weather is doing nearer the day and let us know what time suits.
              Any others interested..???
              Gareth.

Comment

Hi all, there seems to be a good gathering of folk up at the Pondarosa every Sunny Sunday, I went by again today in the Marlin and it was packed, I did notice several kit cars, a few Yank tanks and some classics up there, great meet for bikers though, went back home through Worlds end, it's been a great day. ( Carbs almost sorted )

Comment

Been there this afternoon but in other car as had the dogs to walk.
                  Loads of bikes. Wish I still had mine!
                  Lovely day. Walked for miles. Dogs still fast asleep!

Comment

This Sunday looks like a bit of a wash out according to forecast! Not that I'm a fair weather driver, but kicking tyres in the rain isn't much fun. If it dries up a bit I'll still go along.

Comment

Yeah, I'm the same these days Gareth, I don't go out in the rain in my Mondeo unless I have to, let alone an open top, I MOT'd our MR2 yesterday and took that for a good thrashing later that day, but it's hard to find a nice bit of open road thats in good condition.

Comment

Harry, if you're about, I'll being up there in about a hour for a blast since it's nice...should be there about three ish...

Comment

Sadly Gareth, I'm in work, I wish I was an international jet setting playboy gadding about the med, but unfortuneatly I'm a poor Pleb, lol. Otherwise, I'd love to come and play.

Comment

Unlucky, this what you could have won...
                            Attached Files

Comment

Very nice, do you ever drive down the old road behind the Ponderosa, through Worlds End and up over the Moors to Minera, it's a lovely run in a Marlin, not so great in a Super 7 type motor though as some have not got enough clearance for the poor areas of road.

Comment

Working...
                              X