Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheels

Message originally posted by: Lee Hunter
    Can any one HELP I am trying to find the correct off set for the Cosmic ribster Alloy wheel 13 x 5.5 I think they are stamped on the back but can not get to the car at moment. I am wanting to change to a 15 x 5.5 with a low profile tire and fit larger brakes to the front does anyone have any advice.

Re: Wheels

Lee,

I think the post "Alloy Wheels" might help you, it seems MGF fitting have the correct offset & PCD.

Comment

Lee,
      I have compomotive X spokes - 13X5.5 with offset +18. This gives a mounting face to back edge distance of 100.55mm. ((6.5X25.4/2)+18)=100.55. The only wheels you will get that are 15x5.5 and fit with no spacers are minilights. Midland wheel supplies are the cheapest I found. Most 15" wheels are 6 or 6.5" width.
      If you can find them MG Maestro's had 15x5.5 xspoke alloys but the more common MG Montego had 15x6. The offset is wrong as is the centre hole so you will need spacers, longer studs and new nuts. The MGF wheels should also fit but will need spacers. They come in 15x6, 15x6.5, 15x7, 16x7 etc... The lotus elise S1 wheels should fit. 15x6 at the front and 15x7 on the back. Will need spacers. Your only other choice is expensive 3 piece rims from some one like Image wheels or try http://www.superlite-wheels.com/index.html.
      Offsets needed are: 5.5" = 18mm or less, 6" = 11mm or less, 6.5" = 5mm or less, 7" = -1mm or less.
      PCD = 3.75" or 95.25mm.
      If none of this helps then you can chose any wheel you fancy and fit hub centric wheel adaptors. These are designed to change the PCD / offset / number of studs etc.. so that any wheel can be fitted to any car.
      Hope this helps.
      Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 1800 Fiat Twin Cam engine and 5 speed Abarth gearbox built in 1987
      - I have no idea what I am talking about........ but my advice is always free! -

Comment

Message originally posted by: Sue Roedel (Editor, MOC)
        Hi Lee

Congratulations on becoming a Daddy to Gracie! Can you send Tim your new address please???

Comment

Lee, the solution is in the classifieds - miscellaneous section (five alloys 15" 205 55 in perfect condition, with correct offset)

Comment

Hi Jon
            My plan is to go for a set of 15" Minilite wheels from MWS they have a offset of ET15 do you think these will be ok for my Marina based Roadster as I do not want the wheels to stick outside of the wings.The tyres would be 185/55/15 that would be the nearest size to my 185/70/13 that are fitted now.

Many thanks
            Lee

Comment

Hi Lee,
              If this is 5.5" width then these should be fine. If you want to double check then read this http://www.imagewheels.co.uk/pages/techincal_info.html it will help you to understand the numbers.
              If you measure the distance from the hub mounting face to the outside of the front wing and it is greater than 90mm then they will fit.
              I have to ask though Lee why you want to change. Bigger brakes? light weight cars really don't need them. If you want 4 pot / larger calipers then make sure these will fit behind the wheels before you buy. After market big brake conversions often use caliper mounting brackets and rotor bells that change the relative position of the exterior face of the caliper which will foul your wheels.
              Lower profile tyres will effect the handling / comfort factor. You will notice a more "rigid" ride often resulting in you car "bouncing" on anything less than a perfectly smooth surface. It will tramline more as well. On the positive side they they look great and when the road is smooth it will corner a lot better.
              My neighbour has a Westfield (pre lit) that had 185x70x13 which he upgraded to 205x55x15. The car handled far better than before on Castle Coombe track but was a pig on the bumpy back roads. We ended up changing all the spring rates and damper settings to componsate which has now made a huge difference. Shame the Marlin uses torsion bars. Not much scope for adjusting these!!
              Before you spend loads of money on brake upgrades try using drilled and grooved discs with performance pads. Contact mtec100(at)yahoo.co.uk for the discs. They machine standard marina discs for you and quoted me ?60 incl. Black Diamond also produce combi discs for the marina but Need for Speed quoted me ?104 for these. Rosiini also do them - Car parts direct ?100.
              If you want to contact me to discuss then my nimber is 01225 341034.
              Hope this helps
              Jon
              Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 1800 Fiat Twin Cam engine and 5 speed Abarth gearbox built in 1987
              - I have no idea what I am talking about........ but my advice is always free! -

Comment

Hi Jon
                Thanks for info if you dont mind I will give you a call tomorrow...

Regards
                Lee

Comment

Working...
                X