Gearbox support bar.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gearbox support bar.

After last weekends mishap with the gearbox support bar coming adrift I decided that I needed a belt and braces approach to securing the cross brace to the chassis so I purchased some M8 x 40 Machine screws, spring washers, plain nuts and Nylock nuts.
    First job was to remove the old shorter screws so I lifted the carpet to find no screw heads ??? it was then that it dawned on me that I had fitted the countersunk head screws into the frame before I fitted the steel floorpan.
    After a few choice words I decided that i could either drill the screw out or drill lots of small holes in the floorpan in the place that i thought the head was and then chisel round to expose the head. after several frustrating hours I had removed both offending screws and replaced them with the hex head screw a plain washer a spring washer a plain nut and a Nylock nut. I can't see that vibrating apart in a hurry!
    To celebrate I went for a long drive in the sunshine, Fabulous!!!!

Re: Gearbox support bar.

Hello Mark.

I plan to add a gearbox bar between both chassis spars, as the gearbox rubber mount is attached with a plate on the transmission shaft tunnel.

Did you take some pictures or your work?

Regards,
    Christophe.

Originally posted by mark.westbrookwhite View Post
    After last weekends mishap with the gearbox support bar coming adrift I decided that I needed a belt and braces approach to securing the cross brace to the chassis so I purchased some M8 x 40 Machine screws, spring washers, plain nuts and Nylock nuts.
    First job was to remove the old shorter screws so I lifted the carpet to find no screw heads ??? it was then that it dawned on me that I had fitted the countersunk head screws into the frame before I fitted the steel floorpan.
    After a few choice words I decided that i could either drill the screw out or drill lots of small holes in the floorpan in the place that i thought the head was and then chisel round to expose the head. after several frustrating hours I had removed both offending screws and replaced them with the hex head screw a plain washer a spring washer a plain nut and a Nylock nut. I can't see that vibrating apart in a hurry!
    To celebrate I went for a long drive in the sunshine, Fabulous!!!!

Comment

Re: Gearbox support bar.

Hi Christophe,

I didn't think to take any pictures and I am off on holiday on Friday for a week. but I will try and get some shots for you on my return.

Mark.

Comment

Working...
      X