X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Free to good home

Message originally posted by: Stefan Carlton
    Hi,

Unfortunately just before Christmas my LWB Roadster suffered an untimely demise in the form of a bad engine fire which caused significant damage. The insurance company wrote her off and I couldn't face buying her back to restore. As a result I'm left with a couple of boxes of spares, books etc which are no use to any more - anyone is free to take them away.

At present I have:

* 2 pedal boxes complete with servo's & clutch master cylinders
    * Clutch slaves
    * Passenger side Wing (cracked at the front but repairable)
    * Numerous tie-rods (some usable, some not)
    * Marina owners manual (Haynes and other), Build Manual, Technical Tips 1 & 2

There are some other bits and bobs sitting there as well.

I also have all the old reciepts for the original car, RNH 666R, if anyone purchases it from the salvage yard give me a yell and I'll pass them on. If anyone wants the details, it's in Scotland, Mid Lothian, was fully registered as a Marlin and wasn't on a Q plate I'll pass the details on.

If anyone wants the stuff, email me via my website (www.stefancarlton.net) and you can have it for free if you come and get it.

Re: Free to good home

Hi Stefan
    Sorry to here about your car bet you are devestated, Are you looking at getting another Marlin or do you fancy something else....

Regards
    Lee

Comment

I had thought about getting another Roadster, but whilst I loved mine there were too many problems with the design for me (it was a bit small and needed new seats for comfort + a 5speed gearbox), to that end I'm looking for something new.

Problem is, I have absolutely no idea what I want! I've gone from kit-cars to full production back to kit-cars again and not much is begging me to buy it (within my budget of course).

At the moment I have my hearts set on a Maserati BiTurbo, but my wallet is already full of moths

Comment

Hi Stefan.
        Very sorry to hear about your car. I hope you get another Marlin and stay in touch. I met you and your car at Harrogate 2005. I have read your threads in the forum with interest, be a shame to lose you.

Comment

Hi Stefan, tough luck old chap about the car. Surely it was worth the salvage for the log book. it could have been rebuilt using an "unfinished" kit or two thats kicking about.What was the buy back offer? what caused the fire?.
          Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Message originally posted by: Sue Roedel (Editor, MOC)
            Hi Stefan

Really sorry to hear about your car's demise. That's something I dread happening to mine. Why don't you consider a Sportster? They're newer designs so hopefully less maintenance and they have loads of room. You are a roof down person anyway so not having a hood wouldn't be a problem. One's coming up for sale. Talk to anyone on the Sportster Forum pages - you're too good to leave us! Stay! Stay!

Comment

Hi stefan,
              Sorry to hear about your car. You must have the prize for the most helpful posts on this site.Although Alan is up there with you. I had an engine fire on the Exeter trial last year. Lucky enough to be able to rebuild. Are you still in Newcastle? If so I would be very interested in the spares also to acquire the wreck. I've already rebuilt one. hope to hear from you. Ps Are you interested in a Lotus 7 replica, my stepson has one for sale. It's in Walker at present. My email is: tony.branson(at)boltblue.com hope to hear from you
              Tony

Comment

Thanks for all your kind words

The real reason why I didn't buy her back was because I was too heartbroken that it had gone - it was really hard to accept that my car had gone the way it went (it wasn't my fault at all).

Hmm, I'd not considered the sportster! Hmm!

The spares have now gone though.

Comment

Message originally posted by: T Miller
                  Stefan,
                  Sorry to hear about the engine fire - that is terrible news. My triumph-based roadster MNA2G is unfortunately out of commission at the moment, too - the fiat twincam died of sudden oil starvation on the very last leg of a big trip this summer all around Europe as far as Poland. The car had to be towed from Dover (really was the last leg of the trip!) to my family's home in Peterborough, where it's unfortunately lay since.

As I've gone back to being a student doing a PGCE here in London to become a teacher, I just haven't the time or funds to set it right. Fiat bits are so dear now and obscure to source, I'm not sure when I'll have a chance to get it sorted, but hopefully I'll be on the road this summer.

But best luck finding a resolution to your car situation, and I hope you stay with the marlins. The images on your website and enthusiasm for the cars have been a real inspiration.

Regards,
                  Ty

Comment

Message originally posted by: Chris Dow
                    I?d like to add my condolences also, a real shame to lose something you have invested so much time and effort in. It made me think that I too couldn?t replace my Roadster of 18 years as it just wouldn?t be the same.

To that end and now the worry has been planted, I?m definitely going to invest in some sort of extinguisher system. Has any one else got one or have any recommendations?

Comment

Message originally posted by: Simon Donnelly
                      Hi Stefan
                      I'm also sorry to hear of your loss. Reading your threads and your website it is clear how much you loved your Marlin. Your fire made me think too. Just finished refurbishing my Roadster so would be heartbroken to lose it now. I'm planning to minimise the risk of fire by re-checking all under bonnet wiring, making sure it is fixed to avoid chafing, fitting quick release battery terminal connectors (or an isolator switch) and replacing petrol pipes with braided pipe. I already have a small fire extinguisher. Fingers crossed I won't need it!

Comment

Don't forget about the hydralic fluid from the clutch. The garage who changed my clutch did and hence the fire - it went on fire as I was driving her home

Comment

Working...
                        X