Electronic Ignition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electronic Ignition

Anybody have any views/experience of electronic ignition? I have a LWB Roadster based on a Marina 1700. Currently on (new)points and standard ignition. When it runs well it runs very well. Starts first time and 4500+ revs without an adrenaline rush or having to hold my breath. Occasionally spits and coughs under load. Tried adjusting timing and air filter. The single SU carb dashpot contains enough 20/50 and the distrbutor vacuum seems ok. Plugs are a bit sooty but it hasn't had a long run for a while. Would electronic ignition help?

Re: Electronic Ignition

Hi Paul,My car runs a Aldon system in a TR6cyl and it works very well as you can open up the plugs a bit aswell.You could try changing the condenser.Try putting some good fuel in the car like Shell Optimax or if you can find it and afford it some leaded 4* some garages still stock it.Best thing is take it for a good blast of 30 miles or so.
    Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Hi Paul,
      I also run on Aldon with a B series Marlin. I tried Luminition but it was terminally damaged when my standard coil failed. I have replaced it with Aldon ignition and their napalm or flamethrower coil and it works brilliantly so far. Tony

Comment

Message originally posted by: Ben reading car diagnostics and tuning
        Two more things to check for the misfire, the vacum advance may not be working. Either bob weights seized or the diaphram split OR it could be water in the fuel.

Comment

Dear All
          Thanks for all the good advice. I'll need to end SORN early and take the car out. I checked out Aldon's website and it doesn't look like they cater for the Lucas 48D4 distributor whuch is in my 1700 'O' series. Newtronic nee Pirahna seem to do a system. Any thoughts on these people and their products? Yours gratefully

Comment

Paul, I hope you got your car out- but more importantly I lost your email address! I may be in Derbyshire very soon, can you contact me please? Thanks, Pete.

Comment

Working...
            X