Flashers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flashers

Has anybody got a simple wiring diagram on how to install a flasher system including hazards.
    It might be easier installing a completly new system as I cant work the old one out. The whole wiring loom has been made with red wires and is very difficult to follow.
    many thanks

Re: Flashers

My initial thoughts would be to stick with the existing loom to keep things neat. Don't you have a Haynes manual? This, along with a continuity tester, should enable you to label each wire at both ends with different coloured tape to make sorting them out possible.

Comment

Message originally posted by: Keith Howell
      What is the donor loom from? I have the complete Sierra wiring diagram set from Ford and found it invaluable when I built my Roadster. If it is of use I can copy the relevant pages

Comment

Hi Keith.
        The loom has been hand made and bears no resemblance to anything in any book, all the wires are red and now looks like a plate of spaghetti under the dash.
        There are 2 very small relays right under the dash and a larger one which I am assuming is part of the flasher system, this looks like it had 4 lugs on it but one has come off I think.I can get the indicator lights to come on but not the hazards or the hazard warning light but no flashing and by swopping one wire I can even get the fuel pump to come on and off in time with the flasher relay, oh deep joy.I have traced all the wires to there respective lights but cant find the right links to the relays.
        It is looking more and more likely I will have to employ the services of an electromatrickery expert, unless the collective minds of this wonderful Forum can help

Comment

Hi Jezz,

If it is Sierra based then the relay base (and possibly relay) should have numbers like 49 ; 49A ; 31 and C

I think 49 is the feed from the hazaard switch and 49A is from the Indicator switch (or possibly the other way around)
          31 is the feed to ground and C is for a trailer indicator control lamp which I suspect you don't have. So, if I read it right, all the relay does is connect the indicator switch to earth (on & off) to complete the circuit from the ignition switch (or direct from battery for hazaards).

The indicator and hazaard switch has numbered/lettered connections:

L Feeds all left hand side (lights, side repeaters, light on dash etc)
          R Feeds al RHS
          49 to 49 on relay
          49A to 49A on relay
          54 to ignition switch (for indicator lights)
          30 to battery (for hazaard lighting)

I hope this helps

Comment

Have cleaned the old relay up and the the connections are marked ; c1 c2 w1 w2. the c2 connection has come off though. Do these mean anything to you, I think the car is cortina based.

Comment

I think you probably need to study a Cortina Haynes manual now. Look at the diagram for the indicator/hazaard switch and see if it has matching c and w numbers. If you cross relate them to my previous post and copy the diagram for just the indicators and hazaards then I suspect you should be able to work it all out. If you haven't got a Cortina Haynes manual I suggest a trip to the next car boot sale available - they seem to be mandatory sale fodder.

Best of luck

Comment

Thanks Keith. I have a manual. I believe it is a 6ra relay so will look it up.

Comment

Working...
                X