Fuel pump (electrical issue)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel pump (electrical issue)

The roadster has been "laid up" literally, the back end in the air by 30" for V8 gearbox change however to the issue all went well until I tried to start the engine plenty of energy and turned over well but wouldn't fire checked distributor leads plugs etc. then found there wasn't any fuel.
    So "sucked it" "blew it" but nothing. Took the pump out of its mounting and checked for power - it showed 12v. but it wasn't running.
    I disconnected the pump and thought I would connect it another 12v power supply in my workshop - it still didn't run but I tried tapping the outer case thinking it may be stuck (or was a smack with a hammer !!!) bingo it started to run and pump fuel.
    Back to the car connected it up but won't run, back to power supply does run, back to the car check for 12v but won't run it doesn't even light a 12v side light.

whats wrong?
    YKC 1994 Roadster LWB 3.5 Rover V8

Re: Fuel pump (electrical issue)

the pixies have got in. I get them in my computer all the time and the more I know about computers the more pixies get in to thwart everything!

Comment

Is the car positive or negative earth?
      It may be a high resistance earth not allowing full volts to the pump?
      Grotty fuse?
      Most likely the Pixies. They've got at my computer too
      Marlin Berlinetta 2.1 Efi

Comment

Surely you mean Piskies Dane..
        Marlin Roadster, LWB...1860 B Series + Ford Type 9
        Renault Espace 54mm front calipers, vented discs, cycle wings and adjustable tie-bars.

Comment

A good diagnosis tool is a long length of wire with a crock clip at each end. It can be used to bypass the chassis connection by shorting it directly to the battery.
          Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 2.0L Pinto built in 1986

Comment

Is it a fuel injection or carburettor engine? Have you tried smacking the pixies out while it is in the car?

Comment

Originally posted by andyf View Post
              A good diagnosis tool is a long length of wire with a crock clip at each end. It can be used to bypass the chassis connection by shorting it directly to the battery.
              Mine is always on the shelf an arms length away...
              - 9th owner of T693 SSC possibly a factory built Ford based V8 Sportster
              - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
              - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
              - 8th owner of Roadster chassis number 2395. Now owned by Barry!
              - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Comment

Yup, the Piskies even got to my last post....and changed it. Little blighters!

Comment

thanks andyf, the wire could be useful, thanks

As for the rest of you why not try this web site www.bbc.co.uk/cbeebies its more suited to your level.

And just for the record I think responses of this nature are at best childish but really not helpful, maybe time to change clubs, after 20 years this clubs becoming a rival for face book "chit chat"
                  Ill try another forum
                  YKC 1994 Roadster LWB 3.5 Rover V8

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Turpin View Post

As for the rest of you why not try this web site www.bbc.co.uk/cbeebies its more suited to your level.

And just for the record I think responses of this nature are at best childish but really not helpful, maybe time to change clubs, after 20 years this clubs becoming a rival for face book "chit chat"
                    Ill try another forum
                    I think some fun chat in small doses is fine, and it brightens up my day when working from home alone. Although I suppose I should use Facebook for that!

The main thing is we get some useful help out of it!
                    - 9th owner of T693 SSC possibly a factory built Ford based V8 Sportster
                    - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
                    - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
                    - 8th owner of Roadster chassis number 2395. Now owned by Barry!
                    - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Comment

It certainly looks to be electrical. Try slaving in an earth. If no luck slave in a feed from the battery. If this works it is always worth checking the fuses in the fuse box. I have seen corrosion and verdigris form on the contacts and provide a high resistance area.
                      Good luck - it will work properly in time.

Homini qui contemnit humor. permanentem results in tenebris solitudo

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Turpin View Post

Ill try another forum
                        - spoken by a true Yorkshireman!

Fun? - we can't be having any of that round here ..............!

Comment

Working...
                        X