Hood Repairs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hood Repairs

The windows in my hood have become opaque and need replacing. Does anyone know of a hood repair service in the south that would take this on?
    Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 2.0L Pinto built in 1986

Re: Hood Repairs

Originally posted by andyf View Post
    The windows in my hood have become opaque and need replacing. Does anyone know of a hood repair service in the south that would take this on?
    Just a thought. I have in the past taken scratches out of helmet visors with cutting paste mixed with water and it worked quite well, so I am wondering if it might work on your windows, the paste is available on E-Bay. Might be a cheaper option for you. good luck with them
    More info. One of the members just recommended Renovo Range for waterproofing my hood and I had a look and they also do Renovo Plastic window polish, which it says removes clouding and discolouring, cost £9.99
    Page Not Found | Monza Car Care the worlds finest car care products Monza Car Care is a UK-based online retailer of fine car care products, which is dedicated to providing you with the highest quality detailing products. Monza covers a huge range of cleaning and detailing products for the consumer, including shampoos, waxes, clays and much more. Monza Car Care is one of the largest UK stockists of car care products online.
    Last edited by old_n_notpastityet; 17-05-15, 09:09 PM. Reason: more info

Comment

If it's UV damage to the plastic material and it's got a bit brittle not a lot you can do except replace. The last trimmer I knew in Sussex is no longer active.
      polishing the surface damage out is possible using the standard plastic headlight polish. Apply a coat of UV inhibitor afterwards.
      MOC member since 05/97
      1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
      1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
      Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
      The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

I'm thinking of doing the same job but doing away with most of the canvas on the side screens so I can see better. It's like looking through a letter box in my car!
        You can buy suitably thick flexible plastic on ebay and was thinking of using a caravan awning or boat cover repair place to do the stiching.
        Gareth.

Comment

Originally posted by old-n-notpastityet View Post
          Just a thought. I have in the past taken scratches out of helmet visors with cutting paste mixed with water and it worked quite well, so I am wondering if it might work on your windows, the paste is available on E-Bay. Might be a cheaper option for you. good luck with them
          More info. One of the members just recommended Renovo Range for waterproofing my hood and I had a look and they also do Renovo Plastic window polish, which it says removes clouding and discolouring, cost £9.99
          http://www.monzacarcare.com/renovo/r...reen-polish/0/
          That looks like it will be worth a try. I'll let you know how I get on.

Comment

I used the Renovo cleaner and protector recently and they do appear to be good products so was contemplating the plastic cleaner for my weather gear.
            - 9th owner of T693 SSC possibly a factory built Ford based V8 Sportster
            - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
            - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
            - 8th owner of Roadster chassis number 2395. Now owned by Barry!
            - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Comment

The polish arrived today so I spent a couple of hours polishing the windows and the results are excellent

Comment

The polish arrived today so I spent a couple of hours polishing the windows and the results are excellent
                That's reassuring to know.
                - 9th owner of T693 SSC possibly a factory built Ford based V8 Sportster
                - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
                - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
                - 8th owner of Roadster chassis number 2395. Now owned by Barry!
                - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Comment

Great you got the windows sorted which polish did you get ?

Comment

I got this one http://www.monzacarcare.com/renovo/r...reen-polish/0/

Comment

Did find that one when I originally did some research, reasonable price. I did use cutting paste on an Helmet visor that did the trick but will try this if I needed it for my soft top or side screens

Comment

Used to repair/ renovate Bang and Olufsen hifi stuff, invariably fitted with Perspex / plastic covers, panels etc, always got great results using a complete kit called/from Micromesh(google it), supplied thro' flightstore, can't remember price etc but, its a product for aircraft screens canopies etc. - off out so no time for a link etc
                        Have a great B/H weekend!

Comment

Working...
                        X