Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speed sensor

Message originally posted by: Ian Hickson
    Hello there, yes its me again, I've sorted out the fuel pump problem. Thanks for all your Help.
    The car now starts o.k. but it will only tick over at about 1200 rpm and I can't control the engine speed. if I touch the throttle it speeds up to 1500 rpm and stays there, not only that the engine get very hot very quickly. Has any body got any idea what could be wrong.
    The only wire on the engine loom that I can't connect is the speed sensor, because there is no sensor on the gear box, could this be the problem??
    Thanks Ian..

Re: Speed sensor

I wouldn't think it was the speed sensor, mine's never been fitted in 26000 miles of motoring! I'd check your throttle position sensor, wires 'n all. Do you have a diagnostic checker? A worthy investment, it found a broken wire for me in no time! Can't understand why your engine's getting hot though.

Comment

Thanks Theo,
      I think I've solved the over heating problem, it seems I had an airlock. I've moved the header tank up and this now seems to have worked. I think i'll have to get a diagnostic cheaker or find some one who has one. I'll let you know Thanks Ian.

Comment

I agree with Theo about the speed sensor, in fact I was told by my local Ford dealer, that the sensor is used to raise the engine RPM when the car comes to a standstill, which helps prevent stalling.
        The throttle position sensor however is only a potentiometer and can be checked with a voltmeter. Output from this should be around 0.7v at idle position and 4.5v at full throtle position. (it obtains a stable referance voltage of 5v from the ECU).
        Not a lot of people realise, but fault codes can be obtained from the 3pin diags connector using a voltmeter or an LED, it is difficult to interpret though. Haynes Manual number 59240 is worth buying as it gives lots of info on most fuel injection systems, including your Ford EEC4.
        If you have`nt fixed it yet and you would like some extracts from my manual please leave your E-Mail address and I will try and put info in a word Document for you.

Comment

Peter, many thanks again for your input. Yes if you could send the pages I would be very grateful.
          My e-mail is ianvvc(at)hotmail.com

Many thanks yet again..
          Regards, Ian.

Comment

Putting info here for all to see, as Ian has not returned my E-mails.

Ford EECiv Fault code reading
            1) Attach an LED Test lamp or analogue voltage meter between terminal 3 at the plug and the battery positive terminal.
            2) Use a jumper lead to bridge terminal 1 and 2 in the plug
            3) Switch on the ignition. The codes will now be output on the LED or Meter as flashes after about forty-five seconds. By counting the flashes and referring to the relevant fault code table, faults can be determined.
            a. Code digit pulses are 0.5 sec on and 0.5 sec off
            b. A 2 sec pause separates the digits of each code from another
            c. After all codes have been transmitted, a pause of 6 to 9 seconds is followed by a single flash (separator code)
            d. After a further 6 to 9 seconds, followed by a flash, intermittent fault codes stored in the KAM will be transmitted. (KAM = keep alive memory)

Basic Fault Code Table (These are the main ones)

11 No faults
            13 Coolant temperature sensor
            15 Throttle position sensor
            17,27,37 all relate to MAP sensor faults
            31 ECU ROM/RAM failure
            21 Ignition irregular signal.
            19 KAM fault
            All of the sensors can be checked with a voltmeter/Ohmmeter except the MAP sensor, which has a digital output, if the output is checked with an oscilloscope you should get between 100 and 110 Hz (at) idle.

Comment

Message originally posted by: Neville Stockden
              Hi Peter, You certainly are an authority the Ford EEC4 system so can I please ask your help.
              We are up-grading our Berli with a 2.0l/74KW (100PS) Pinto injected engine removed from a 1991 German Sierra. It has what we presume to be a speed sensor fitted IN the speedo cable drive some 12 inches behind the speedo gauge. It has two wires - one BR, one GE-BR to connex 4 on ECU.
              Is this speed sensor the same one you refer to in your message dated 1st March and does it perform the same function?
              Grateful your reply.

Comment

Sory for delay neville but have only just noticed this entry. No shure, the sensor I had was a hall effect sensor and had 3 wires. brown = grond, blk/blu = fuse 20 supply,
                yell/brn to ecu 4 which is the signal wire.

Comment

Neville
                  Had another look today and now I don't understand what you have. A uk spec 1991 car has a DOHC engine and a MT75 gearbox. On the MT75 box the speed sensor is on the LHS and the cable speedo drive is on the RHS. Most people who use this setup ose the spped sensor to drive an electronic speedo and dispense with ECU connection, as this makes little, if any, differance to how the engine runs in practice.
                  Feel free to contact me by E_Mail direct. My new E-Mail from
                  this week is petermo(at)uk24net.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                  X