Car insurance and SORN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car insurance and SORN

I have just found out from a friend who has just been fined that a car has to be either taxed and insured or not insured and SORNed. A week ago I changed my tin top for a newer one. I had to swap the insurance to the new car so that I could use the no claims bonus, don't get me started on that, surely the person should have the NCB for any vehicle? Anyway the result is my old car is now sitting in my drive still taxed but no insurance until I can get it sold. But it turns out I have to declare a SORN as it is not insured even though it is on private land, this is exactly what has happened to my friend. Who knew?

Re: Car insurance and SORN

Don't forget that the tax cannot be transferred. I have on occasion got short term insurance for an existing car. Insurance companies are rip off merchants. I had a renewal that was double the previous years. Checking around I got cheaper than the previous year with the same company and different broker. I rang the original broker who said 'Oh yes we will match that' . Why could they not do that at the start? 'Oh it doesn't work like that!' I don't deal with them now.

Comment

Re: Car insurance and SORN

Yes I was aware that the tax is no longer transferable, but the tax runs out at the end of August so I thought I would just leave it and when the V5 is changed to the new owner the tax would take care of itself, if there was any full months left then I should be credited with that but it's such a small amount that I just decided to leave it. However it is now SORNed to avoid a fine.

Comment

Working...
      X