Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

has any body tryed to fit a MX5 into a roadster?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• has any body tryed to fit a MX5 into a roadster?

Hi
    I've got an old marina based roadster for a complet re build and
    i'm thinking maybe the MX5 engine and box might fit.
    Has this already been tryed??

Thanks Paul

Re: has any body tryed to fit a MX5 into a roadster?

Been talked about often on the forum. Never been done to my knowledge.
    MOC member since 05/97
    1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
    1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
    Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Club member Jonathan Cox currently doing just that, and as well as the Mazda engine and box, looking at the independant rear end , and front as well

Comment

Which MX5? 1.6, 1.8, 2.0? I know it was talked about and interest was shown in a part project. Would be interesting to see it in process.
        I did have a thought once is squeezing an SLK 1.8 into a Marlin. Mercedes seem to be neglected generally in favour of BMW power plants.
        The rear end will always be a problem with limited space either with Triumph or Marina Roadster chassis. Not a ten minute job and possibly better of with a completely new chassis, to use the MX5 front and rear suspension as well.
        It always seemed to be a massive compromise. The MX5 is and was an excellently balanced 2 seat sports car. If you retain 50% of it's original handling in a Marlin chassis I would be staggered.

A Marina donor was a doddle.
        MOC member since 05/97
        1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
        1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
        Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
        The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

I was thinking of a 1.8 (and a lot of work)

Comment

Jonathan Cox did not mention Mazda for the front or rear end. only engine and gearbox. I do not know what parts his independant rear end are , or what he has in mind for the front.

Comment

marlin mx5 009.jpgmarlin mx5 007.jpg
              Engine and gearbox will fit.
              Front suspention with a few mod's will work.
              Now to the rear????

Comment

Interesting...how about the steering rack..?
                Marlin Roadster, LWB...1860 B Series + Ford Type 9
                Renault Espace 54mm front calipers, vented discs, cycle wings and adjustable tie-bars.

Comment

i would guess the rack would need to be sorted in the same way yours is Jez. It looks a really good fit in there - maybe a romero/ykc chassis might be better though with the lower exit point for the column? Plus all that lovely coil over shock stuff going on - plus irs and a diff carrier. hmmm

Comment

Originally posted by cameronfurnival View Post
                    i would guess the rack would need to be sorted in the same way yours is Jez. It looks a really good fit in there - maybe a romero/ykc chassis might be better though with the lower exit point for the column? Plus all that lovely coil over shock stuff going on - plus irs and a diff carrier. hmmm
                    My rack is in the standard location Cameron..!
                    I'm guessing it could be hung off the cross-member in some way - but it's hard to tell just where the steering arms are in relation, hence the question.
                    One of the issues with modifying the Roadster is the lack of width where things like steering column, throttle body/intake, rack & radiator all fight for the same space.

I'm really interested to see how it all comes together...should we call it a Mazlin or a Marda..?

Jez
                    Renault Espace 54mm front calipers, vented discs, cycle wings and adjustable tie-bars.

Comment

I thought you had an a extra UJ to move the column around your installation Jez? The rack position itself is critical to avoid bump steer but would it need to be moved from its standard location? Maybe I'm not understanding. Your experience would be really valuable in this install Jez - Im sure there are many of us who will be keeping an eye on this one!

Comment

If you look at the images you can see that the steering arm on the MX5 hub faces forwards (Marina runs high & backwards, Triumph is also low & forwards)...so that would imply the rack needs to be mounted forward of the standard Marina-Roadster location and more akin to the Triumph based model.
                        As you say, rack mounting is critical for bump-steer (and the Marina-base is hardly a paragon of virtue in that respect), so care required both from safety & handling perspective to get it located correctly..!

Comment

yes see what you mean - i was looking at the "washer solution" and completely missed the fact it is t'other way round. Don't like that washer - looks temporary rather than the intended solution though. Why not keep the steering and brakes and discs standard ?

Comment

Might pay to follow the project in Practical Classics mag they are putting a MX5 engine and box into a Dolomite early days and quite a
                            few mods already!
                            Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

The washers are just for trying things in place.
                              I'm progressing with the rear axle with some chassis mods.
                              P 6 11 15 007.jpgP 6 11 15 008.jpg
                              Body mods to come later.

Comment

Working...
                              X