Knebworth Show

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Knebworth Show

I decided to go to the Knebworth Classic car show over the bank holiday, unfortunately the transmission has been making a bit of noise for a while and the week before the clutch started to play up, so I bit the bullet and decided that I needed a new clutch assy. complete with a ball race rather than a ceramic unit. Thursday night I removed the G'box ready then nice and early Saturday morning I went out to fit the new clutch. I will be back about lunch time I cheerfully told my wife.
    New clutch in with alignment tool no problem gearbox lifted and ....... would the b£$%^&*r go on, not a bit of it I pushed I shoved I cussed I took it all back out and re aligned the clutch I pushed again 10 past 9 I got it back in and bolted up, then I tested it and.... no clutch! the push rod from the thrust race arm into the slave cylinder was too short. so I gave up and got drunk.
    The next morning (Sunday) I had calmed down Thinking I want to go to this show what to do I can't buy a replacement I will have to extend the one I have. My Mig wasn't working so I phoned a friend and borrowed his arc welder the first guess was still too short so I tried again Success, then a quick wash and brush up and I got to the show 20 minuets late.
    The weather was kind and it was a good show,however the transmission is still making a noise but the clutch has never been so smooth.

Re: Knebworth Show

I seem to remember you are using MGB for the clutch and gearbox. But, you should never have to alter the length of the pushrod unless there is something else wrong.

Comment

I presume that the 'ball race rather than ceramic' unit you are talking about is the release bearing. If this was a different depth to the old you will no doubt have problems .
      As Steve says altering the arm length is not the answer.

Comment

There have been alleged cases of a Marina clutch arm bending. I have never seen one personally though I have seen very tired springs that hold the arm over its pivot pin.
        I am not totally familiar with the mechanics of an MGB clutch. There must be many resources. But anything that deviates from original design suggests a fault.
        The Marina for example uses a different length clutch bearing carrier for a 1.3 or a 1.8. The two are incompatible.

Comment

IIRC the MGB roller-bearing fits the same clutch arm as the standard carbon bearing...however I have a suspicion that it is possible to assemble the bearing (carbon or roller) with the arm the "wrong" way round - which could push the bearing rearwards, hence needing a longer arm to actuate it. Of course I could be talking complete oblocks as I haven't replaced my MGB thrust bearing for some time.
          Marlin Roadster, LWB...1860 B Series + Ford Type 9
          Renault Espace 54mm front calipers, vented discs, cycle wings and adjustable tie-bars.

Comment

it wouldn't surprise me if you where right it didn't occur to me that it could go the other way round. Doh.... fortunately the box is going to have to come out again as the noise is still there when I decelerate so I am sure there is a problem with a thrust bearing in the box itself. I am just going to have to man up and dismantle the gear box. I have seen it done on U-tube so if someone else can do it so can I :0z

Comment

Working...
            X