A+ Engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A+ Engine

Hi any info gratefully received, I have a brand new 1300 A+ maestro engine to replace the old marina unit, the gearbox (VW) unit simply unbolts and you are left with what is essentially the in line a series, however there are some subtley differences that mean you cannot use the existing flywheel, bellhousing and adaptor plate. Knowing BL these would have been interchangeable with another vehicle, does anybody have a clue?
    Thanks Chris

Re: A+ Engine

Hi Chris
    When you say you cannot use the existing flywheel etc are you refering to those that came with the engine/box.I fitted an a plus inline where there had previously been a standard a series,all that was requird was to use the old backplate from the non a plus engine and the old flywheel/clutch assy.The a plus has a stiffer block and requires a different distibutor to the old engine[you cannot fit a non a plus dizzie in an a plus block] other than that i'm not aware of any further difficulties

Comment

Hi Alan,
      no, the backplate is different and the bolt array for the crankshaft is different, this was one of th every last A+ so I did wonder as it bolted to the VW box whether that made a difference and if we found a montego/sherpa type set up it would be different.
      Chris

Comment

Hi Alan,
        no, the backplate is different and the bolt array for the crankshaft is different, this was one of th every last A+ so I did wonder as it bolted to the VW box whether that made a difference and if we found a montego/sherpa type set up it would be different.
        Chris

Comment

Message originally posted by: Franklin Woodcock
          Hi Chris, When you have sorted out all the details of using your Maestro engine in the Marlin, please let us know how you got on. I saw an ad. in Midland Auto Trader 2 or 3 years ago for brand new Maestro engines with all the ancilliary kit on for ?125. I should have bought one but was worried about detail differences. However,. I think you are doing the right thing because this was the last incarnation of this wonderful little engine. Before you put it in, whip the head off and fit a set of valve seals because these last engines did not have the little O rings on the valve stems.

Comment

Chris
            Have you seen the 1300cc marina engine on e-bay (search under marina)

Comment

Chris,did you ever solve the problems incurred when fitting a 1275 cc Maestro engine with the Marina flywheel, clutch and backplate?
              Franklin, Leicester

Comment

Working...
              X