Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gearbox/diff

Hi,
    I am restoring my Marina based Marlin Roadster. The former owner told me, that he used the car for hill climbing and that the gearbox and/of the diff came from a van. Who knows how I can see from the outside if the diff of gearbox wchich type is used?

I will also move the gear lever more to the rear. Has anyone any idea on how to do this.

Kindly regards.

Re: gearbox/diff

Hi Frans

I've recently swapped my diff: Ital van diff for the 1.7 Ital model. As far as I could find out there is no way to tell from the outside of the gearbox or diff what is inside. I had to count the teeth on the diff and do the math to determine that I was dealing with a van model. I'm told that the original units were shipped with a paper sticker to identify them. If anyone has better information, like you, Id like to hear it.

Good luck

Comment

Hi Frans,
      As far as I'm aware the gearboxes in van's were the same as the saloon model of the equivalent cc.
      The diff in the 10cwt van is the only one that is different in it's construction and is the one generally used in trial's cars.
      The easiest way I know of to tell if you have this axle fitted is to remove the roadwheel ,if you can see a large nut of approx 32mm in the centre of the brake drum[not securing it ,just protruding] then it's NOT a 10cwt axle.Furthermore on a 10cwt axle you can remove the halfshaft by first removing the brake drum[2 screws] then a further screw that secures the halfshaft flange to the bearing carrier behind it,you cannot do it this simply on the standard axle.The ratio for the 10cwt diff is 4.55,anything else will be dependant on the cubic capacity of the vehicle from which it was removed and will require the no.of teeth to be counted.Hope that helps and if someone knows any other way I'd also like to know!

Comment

Frans,
        Speak to Steve Holder at Fortune Engineering. He knows all there is to know about trials Marlins and will be able to supply you with any spare parts you may need.
        http://www.fourtune-engineering.co.uk/
        Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 1800 Fiat Twin Cam engine and 5 speed Abarth gearbox built in 1987
        - I have no idea what I am talking about........ but my advice is always free! -

Comment

You can work out the diff ratio by marking the prop shaft and then counting the turns when revolving both back wheels one complete revolution. ie 4.5 or 4.1 or 3.6. The easy way to move the gear lever back is to bend it. Most roadsters have a shortened stick so you may need to find a longer one.
          Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Working...
          X